Australian of the Year

Any dates & venues of get togethers, Farmer's Markets, Shows, Rally's or other items of interest
Jim

Australian of the Year

Post by Jim »

Congratulations to all finalists and to the 2015 Australian of the year...Rose Batty.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015 ... ear-awards
SteveW

Re: Australian of the Year

Post by SteveW »

It seemed a bit odd to me that there was a competition between "top" contenders. If there were several people worthy of the highest order, then recognize them - there is no "best" when it comes such things. Well done to all of them.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I agree, there would be many more Worthy Australians that were not even nominated, really how do they pick the winner?
Shirley & Bruce.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I object to the inclusion of so many awards that are for nothing more than holding a public service position or services position. Unless someone has done something extraordinary in one way or another, forget it. I'm not having a grumpy day, I just don't see the value in awarding someone for doing what they are paid to do unless they exceed far beyond what is expected of them.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Jim

Post by Jim »

SteveW wrote:I object to the inclusion of so many awards that are for nothing more than holding a public service position or services position. Unless someone has done something extraordinary in one way or another, forget it. I'm not having a grumpy day, I just don't see the value in awarding someone for doing what they are paid to do unless they exceed far beyond what is expected of them.
I agree, and that is why I was glad to see Rosie Batty chosen.
Last edited by Jim on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dot

Post by Dot »

It has become just a political vote getting thing. TA tells his panel puppets who is to get it depending on who he needs votes from. IMHO All people doing good for the country needs to be recognised.
Last edited by Dot on Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling mistake :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Its difficult there are so many people who do good things that could be nominated for these awards.

Many years back when I was still working I was asked to nominate a member from our section for a APM in the Australia Day awards. I thought long and hard and eventually replied that I did not intend to single out any individual as I considered with the exception of 2 or 3 everyone in the section did far more work than they were paid for and they were all deserving of recognition and so I did not nominate anyone.

Sometimes I think the top end of town receives these awards often when paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in wages in my opinion they have already received recognition through high wages after all they are only doing the job they have been paid to undertake.