John and Jennys rig

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
jdbb

John and Jennys rig

Post by jdbb »

Isn’t it annoying when you type a long post and then it disappears into cyberspace when you press the wrong button. I’ll try again.

Our first caravan was a 21’6” Regent Brentwood. It was a good van but when we made the decision to go on the road full time we decided to look for a van that would take us to the places we like - ie., out in the more remote areas. We didn’t want to have to buy a new van in four or five years because the one we had was falling to bits.

After visiting many factories in Melbourne and Queensland, in January 2013 we bought a 20’ Bushtracker. Once we saw how these were constructed we were sold.

Our tow vehicle at the time was a 100 series Landcruiser. I had done a lot of work to it and it only had 60,000kms on it after six years. We had intended to keep it until it stopped – which would have been many years from now.

If we limited the amount of stuff we carried, and didn’t fill up all the water tanks we could stay within the legal towing limits – just. But it meant that many things I would have liked to have carried with us had to stay behind. And having 3.5t of van behind 3.26t of tow vehicle didn't please me. Too much chance of the tail wagging the dog.

So then we started looking at tow vehicle options which are very limited for anything over 3.5t. It’s either an Isuzu type 4x4 truck or one of the American utes. We bought a Chev Silverado 2500 that will carry a payload around 1t, and can tow 5t. It’s not what I particularly like but it tows the van effortlessly and safely and the bonus is that it’s very comfortable and more economical than the 100 series.

Since getting the Chev we have upgraded the van ATM to 4.4t. If we wanted to we can now load all the stuff we want, plus up to six weeks of food, 500 litres of water in the van and another 160 litres in the Chev, 210 litres of diesel and we’re still within the legal limits.

There's a photo down below – taken at Ross Dam in Townsville at a HFRC get together.

Regards
John and Jenny

Dot

Re: John and Jennys rig

Post by Dot »

That's some set up you've got there and I love the water capacity.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Yeah looks really good, comfortable unit.
Shirley & Bruce.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

WoW! Talk about a home away from home!
What is that cover/door over the rear van tyre? is it a fold down table?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jdbb

Post by jdbb »

Hello Bruce

Yes it is a nice home. We feel very safe and secure in it.

That cover over the rear wheel is what Bushtracker call a waterproof door.

The theory is that when it's closed the van is waterproof to 1.2 metres. Unless there's some sort of life threatening situation, I'll never know.

We would never tow a van through water that was any deeper than the chassis rails which is about 400mm. First reason is that if the water is moving then there is a lot of force against the van which could push the van sideways. Secondly the Chev has sensors in the hubs and also lots of connections in the chassis rail area. This is also around the 400mm mark.

When we had the Landcruiser which had a wading depth of around 780mm, we would never go deeper than the running boards - about 350mm. We use the running boards on the Chev as our gauge as they are a bit less than 400mm to the underside.

At one stage when we were trying to cut down on weight we had removed the waterproof door and frame, but now we have the Chev we've put it back on. It's good for a couple of things. On dusty roads we close it and put a foam strip in to close off the top gap between it and the van door. This keeps all the dust out and also ensures that the van door can't open accidently.

It's also good for a bit of security if we leave the van unattended. We close the door and padlock it.

regards
John and Jenny
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Those Silverado's are something else aren't they, Tom and Carmel's unit was more like a aeroplane inside Margaret reckon and she kept expecting the stewardess to come past with tray or something :lol: Does you unit have the high output eng chip/exhaust mod and the 8sp Alison transmission?
Now, if I could just transplant that power train into the big bus project I'd be very tempted to go back to a diesel, certainly my pick of the bunch and I'm a die hard Ford fan so....
The Bushwacker is also good unit, not keen on their idea of a charger or solar regulator, but very well built. Any chance of a few photos of the inside layout?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jdbb

Post by jdbb »

Hello Terry

Our Chev is just the standard old truck – no chip or exhaust mod, and the 6 speed Allison box. I think it’s got something like 400hp and it tows our van effortlessly so I’d rather leave it as it is. We tow with the tow/haul button engaged which locks out top gear and extends the range of all other gears. When this is used in conjunction with the exhaust brakes it is a wonderful tow vehicle.

BT build a very good van and we’re very happy with our decision to live in one.

I agree with your comment on the electrical equipment and think that BT should consider changing their electrical design. I'm not sure that connecting four batteries in parallel, or their instruction that “your battery charger should remain connected and switched on at all times” is the best for the batteries.

I've made changes to the standard BT layout and have separated the batteries, and the BT supplied battery charger is over on your side of the country gathering dust.

Here are a couple of internal photos.

Regards
John and Jenny

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Nice looking layout, plenty of room and very light giving that spacious feeling, I can see why you are so happy with it.
I hope you are not using the Bushtracker original solar regulator with that much solar on the roof. The original type made by a local electrical mob use dump control into the heat sink in the controller rather than actually cutting the solar input. When the van interior heated up the unit would over heat and not control the max voltage very well at all often resulting in over charged batteries. Tried to incorporate one into a lithium upgrade and it dropped its bundle in the middle of the WA gold fields, not good at all so it was replaced with Plasmatronics unit.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jdbb

Post by jdbb »

We really like the layout and colours Terry, and I never get tired of looking at the honey coloured wall panels and tassie oak doors and drawer fronts. Good sized windows and light colours make a big difference to the feel of a van.

Re the solar regulator, we must have been lucky because BT installed a Morningstar Tristar 60.

When I separated the batteries into two sets of two batteries in parallel I also split the five van solar panels into groups of two and three and ran these into two smaller solar controllers, one for each paralleled set of batteries.

The Tristar is now in the Chev with the other two panels going into it. I’ve got it set up so that I can send solar input from either one or two Chev panels into the Chev batteries via the Tristar, or into the van.

In the warmer months we usually have one panel going to the Chev where we have a Waeco 50, and the other panel coming back into the van. In winter we mostly have all panels going into the van.

I’ve made the supporting frame so that I can tilt the Chev panels to get a bit more out of them - when the weather is dodgy every little bit helps.

regards
John and Jenny
BobnBev

Post by BobnBev »

Very nice John n Jenny, For a moment I thought I had spoken to you in Mildura last week, But looking at your photo I see you dont have a roof air con. so must have been some one eles with good tast. it was the same set up BT and chevy.. Love the chevys, looked at them for awhile..
The rego was from SA on the other set up.. He had air con. problems...
Very nice, safe travels..
Bob n Bev...