What is this for ??

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
jamglor

What is this for ??

Post by jamglor »

Hello there
does any one know what this tool may have been used for. I have one the same but mine has a wooden handle and is in better condition.
I saw this one in a display at a museum in the black smith section ?.
A little bit of history on where mine came from. My Great grandfather owned around six timber mills in and around the Worsley, Collie, Fernbrook etc area in WA in the early to mid 1900s. my one came from my grandfathers shed when my Father and Uncle cleaned it out when my grandparents moved into a home many years ago. We were always lead to believe that it was used for adjusting the angle of the teeth on the large saw blades ( granddad could not remember what it was for). But after seeing it in a blacksmith display now I'm not to sure so if any one knows or has an idea what it may be for speak up. I have searched the net and have found zilch.
362.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamie & Glori
We would rather live with the knowledge that we lived part of our dream than none of it
Jon and Kay

Re: What is this for ??

Post by Jon and Kay »

It's a 'sheetmetal or wire' thickness gauge. Usually with wooden handle or a circle of steel. This one looks 'home made' by blacksmith.
Jon
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yep, I knew that!
When pounding red hot iron on a forge you measure it from time to time until the required thickness.
Some thickheads need more pounding than others.
Me?.... I'm sharp as a razor blade! (Well that's my opinion!)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

jon_d

Post by jon_d »

It's well used. Look at how big the holes are.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I believe the cut out at the front is for metal curling, hence the different shape either side.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It's a saw set. The tool that you use to adjust the amount of angle on the saw blade. The different sizes are for the the different thickness blades. It was a full time job keeping the saw blades 'set' correctly before tungsten tipped blades came into being. This http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/ftj/ ... ing97.html might explain it better. There are a few vids on youtube on how it all works.
Last edited by supersparky on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Well that beats the hell out of what I was gunna say ! :roll:

Thort it mighta been summat the G man used when making/stirring his custard on Sudays. :? :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
jamglor

Post by jamglor »

Many thanks for the reply's after some more digging etc have found out that its a saw wire gauge used in the mill but they also adapted it to other things as well.
Jamie & Glori
We would rather live with the knowledge that we lived part of our dream than none of it