Hi from Bendigo

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
Grandad

Hi from Bendigo

Post by Grandad »

G'day all.
My name is Jim. I'm a retired chippy and am currently rebuilding a vintage 1969 Franklin Mini. All 10' 6" of her.
Once finished I'll be heading off on the Grey Nomad circuit for I don't know how long.

I've has a look around, as one does, and it seems like a good match for my needs right now.

I look forward to getting to know some of you in the next few months.

If anyone is rebuilding an old Franklin, that's one area where I might be able to help.

Cheers
Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Hi from Bendigo

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi again Jim, what area are you where you are taking on his project? We have members on this forum with a very wide range of skills, not sure just how applicable some of them are to caravan rebuilding though :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I'm in Bendigo mate. In Victoria.
Specifically to do with restoring an old Franklin is the fact there is no frame.
Anything from about 1968 onwards to their closure.

I've come across many who want to replace the inner ply lining.
That job is MUCH bigger than most realise.

Not something for the feint hearted.

I've started a thread in the 'About Your Outfit" sub-forum. That will demonstrate what is involved.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Jim and welcome to our great friendly forum. Loved your caravan project. When do you expect a test run shake down trip?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Dot wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 amLoved your caravan project. When do you expect a test run shake down trip?

Thank you Dot.
Oh dear, that's the $40,000 question.
Not for quite some time.
Apart from finishing the van itself, which will take quite some time as I'm a pensioner and I'm building as finances allow, there are some other minor things to deal with.
Like....how do I get this thing out of my back yard?

Plan A is through the garage. Except there's a tight right hand turn to navigate before it will actually line up with the garage door.
Several consultations with several different mates have resulted in conclusions ranging from "Yah, she'll be right mate" to "Geez, You're dreaming!"
Plan B is to remove a section of the back fence and then navigate a 12" drop to the nature strip.

Then..... I better start thinking about buying a suitable tow vehicle. I wouldn't even attempt it with my current daily driver.

Then.... I might head off somewhere for a shake down trip.

Then.... off to Mannum

Jim
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Grandad wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 am
Dot wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:40 amLoved your caravan project. When do you expect a test run shake down trip?

Thank you Dot.
Oh dear, that's the $40,000 question.
Not for quite some time.
Apart from finishing the van itself, which will take quite some time as I'm a pensioner and I'm building as finances allow, there are some other minor things to deal with.
Like....how do I get this thing out of my back yard?

Plan A is through the garage. Except there's a tight right hand turn to navigate before it will actually line up with the garage door.
Several consultations with several different mates have resulted in conclusions ranging from "Yah, she'll be right mate" to "Geez, You're dreaming!"
Plan B is to remove a section of the back fence and then navigate a 12" drop to the nature strip.

Then..... I better start thinking about buying a suitable tow vehicle. I wouldn't even attempt it with my current daily driver.

Then.... I might head off somewhere for a shake down trip.

Then.... off to Mannum

Jim
You would be amazed at just how manoeuverable a caravan can be when using one of those powered jockey wheels. I have one here with a lithium battery power pack you can borrow, a bit of a trip to come and pick it up though :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Maybe get a couple of the F1 units they use for wheeling dead cars back into the garage!!!
What sort of surface is it Jim?
I can see a get together happening to help Frankie Mini escape!!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

It's hard packed dirt Bruce. I can't remember the measurements I took but the Pumpkin is about the same length inc the draw bar as the area it has to turn 90 degrees in. There are some overhead issues but a back and forth action rather than spinning it on its wheels will work.
i'm reasonably certain I can do it.
But, you're right. There will be a get together but it will be my 3 sons. All are 6'+ tall, fit, strong and stubborn young men.
I have a feeling I'll be told to pull up a chair while they get this sucker out. The eldest in particular will see this as a challenge. And he hates being beaten by anything.
Let me be a proud Dad for a second. When they were younger and went anywhere together their mother would inevitably worry about them. I used to tell her that if they were on their own you may have cause to worry. But together, there is no type of problem they could face that together they couldn't overcome.
I'm rather hoping that will happen again when the time comes.
Jim
Dot

Post by Dot »

Do what Terry did with their shipping container that was in the back yard and it needed to be out the front BUT how to get it there? A crane lifted it over their house. :lol: : ;) lol: fairdinkum would I fib to you?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

You know something Dot?
The very first instance I ever read about someone restoring a vintage caravan was one where the buyer had to do just that to get the van out of the sellers backyard.
I remember thinking how keen you'd have to be to do that.
It was an old Viscount I think

Jim