Lithium Battery

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Helen Grose

Lithium Battery

Post by Helen Grose »

Hello everyone
We are thinking of putting Liethiam Batteries in our Colerado and Van Heard lots of good things about them but have been told that they do have a tendersiy to catch fire .
Could we please have some thoughts about this
Thank you Helen on behalh of Paul
Mrcoolabah1au

Re: Liethiam Battery

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Do you mean lithium :?: :?: :?:
Yes they are super but need a lot of work to set them up as they will not just drop in like a normal battery
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
dapope

Post by dapope »

Have not had a fire out of any of mine yet. Theres a lot of misinformation, but i can tell you its one of the best investments you could make. We saved around 7000 doing it ourselves.
About to have a toasty courtesy of the batteries, cooked in the 240v maker. Less than 1% of the battery used
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Helen, I guess you mea lithium batteries as I have never heard of the other type ;) :lol:
the type of lithium batteries we recommend for house batteries are LiFeP04 chemistry, these do not catch fire no matter what you do to them, but the other types of lithium batteries like LiPo or LiMn do have a reputation for catching fire if they are abussed, either over voltage or running them dead flat. The difference is chemical make up means that no oxygen is produced while charging or discharging an LiFeP04 battery, all other battery chemistries, including lead acid, do generate oxygen. Without oxygen there can be no fire.
if the LiFeP04 battery is severely over charged or dragged down to 0v and held there, they will boil off their electrolyte. this is realease through the pressure valve as a cloud of vapour. When this mixes with the oxygen in the air it can cause a flame, never an explossion, and when the vapour is used up, the flame stops. this will only happen with the batteries in a sealed box if they are very over charged, but you still need something to ignite the fire, the vapour would just settle out like steam to water drops if it couldn't escape. If the attery box is ventilated, there would not be enough vapour held in one place to support a fire, it needs quite a bit of vapour, not like gas or the hydrogen/oxygen mix that comes off lead acid batteries, the mix is much less for them to burn or even explode as the burn is so rapid. If you have never worried about the AGM or start batteries catch fire, you have even less reason to worry about LiFeP04 chemistry batterys catching fire.

Hope that help to relieve your fears

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

Well thank you for the info on both Lithium,and my Liethiam glad you know what my spelling is like
As I
have mentioned befor I spent many a lunch hour between the flag poles learning my words and it didn't work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul asked me to mention its to run a car fridge, canopy fully enclosed. PV charge controller
with absorb and float control mp3129 n287.Would this controller help to prevent fires
I am confused just writing what I am told :? :?
Thanks and take care Helen
Dot

Post by Dot »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: go for it Helen babe, no worse than Terry's spelling :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Helen Grose wrote:Well thank you for the info on both Lithium,and my Liethiam glad you know what my spelling is like
As I
have mentioned befor I spent many a lunch hour between the flag poles learning my words and it didn't work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul asked me to mention its to run a car fridge, canopy fully enclosed. PV charge controller
with absorb and float control mp3129 n287.Would this controller help to prevent fires
I am confused just writing what I am told :? :?
Thanks and take care Helen
Does it look like one of these [urlhttp://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto.asp?id ... ODNAME=20A Solar Charge Controller with LCD Display&IMAGE=][/url]
http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto ... ODNAME=20A
They can be set to work with the lithium batteries, but an additional secondary monitoring and control system is also required to protect the cells from over charging. I won't go into explaining all that here, send me a PM or email so I can explain that part better

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

HI everyone
Dot is t1 the Terry we met at your place.Terry are you the Terry Paul rang about 6months ago and spoke to you re Lithium batteries.He is getting as much info as he can.Way over my head.
He asked me to ask a few more ????
1 Do the Lithium Batteries weigh less the Deep Cycle Batteries
2 How much would it be to Install120amp hr
3 What is the life spance of the Lithium Batteries

I would like to thank everyone for there help
Thank you Helen
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Helen Grose wrote:HI everyone
Dot is t1 the Terry we met at your place.Terry are you the Terry Paul rang about 6months ago and spoke to you re Lithium batteries.He is getting as much info as he can.Way over my head.
He asked me to ask a few more ????
1 Do the Lithium Batteries weigh less the Deep Cycle Batteries
2 How much would it be to Install120amp hr
3 What is the life spance of the Lithium Batteries

I would like to thank everyone for there help
Thank you Helen
I'm the Terry you met at Dotties and the same Terry that Paul rang a while back :D
(1)A 100Ah Li battery with links etc weights roughly 15kg, just under half the weight of a 100Ah AGM battery(32kg). Weight for useable Ah (or watt hrs for some :lol:) is around 1/4 of the weight of AGM batteries as all the 100Ah can be used without serious damage, only 50% of the AGM capacity, or 50Ah can be used without causing damage over the long term.

(2) Depends who's doing it :lol: Generally it's in 100Ah steps, you could do it in 60Ah steps as that size cells are available.

(3) That depends on how you treat them. With a proper cell monitoring system operating correctly to prevent over voltage charging and a cut off if a cell drops too low, or if you stop at 20%SOC, the manufacturer says 3,000 cycles, that's roughly 5 times the cycle life of AGM batteries. The manufacturer says you can take 100% of the capacity out of the battery 1,000 times before the capacity starts to drop, AGM batteries won't let you do that very often before they start to loose capacity. Li batteries don't sulphate so there is no loss of capacity if they are not fully recharged every time, a real problem with AGM batteries.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Clickerty click :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.