Lithium Battery

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Craig

Re: Liethiam Battery

Post by Craig »

Hi Terry,
I went in and visited the guys at EVWorks when we were in Perth last year and they told me that discharging lithium batteries fully would cause permanent damage beyond repair. Is this not the case?
Full time on the road in an Alpine 2855
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I think you're right Craig but it depends exactly what you are calling 100%. (or 0%)
If you've set your SOC indicator to indicate full at 95% of the capacity of your battery & for it to show empty at 10% left in your battery, then the amount of 85Ah (for a 100Ah battery) becomes your usuable amount.
So at 10% it shows 0% & at 95% it shows 100%.
Sounds confusing but with the Victron you can set any upper or lower limit & then the % SOC refers to the amount between those settings.
Not sure if I've explained that properly??
In the above case it would use 85Ah from full to empty or from 100% to 0% even though WE know that there is a buffer above & below those 'limits'.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Craig wrote:Hi Terry,
I went in and visited the guys at EVWorks when we were in Perth last year and they told me that discharging lithium batteries fully would cause permanent damage beyond repair. Is this not the case?
You need to define fully discharged, I read it as 100Ah removed from a 100Ah battery, others view it as the battery being discharged to 0v. The 2 are very different with Li batteries, with 100% of the capacity used the voltage is still over 12v.
Maybe this chart explains it better, remember the voltages shown on the chart must be multiplied by 4 to get a 12v battery equivalent and 8 to get a 24v battery equivalent.
WB LYP 100AH Discharge chart.jpg
The voltage readings are while under load, not rested voltage. C = the capacity of the battery multiplied by the number after the C, it's actually CA, capacity amperes.
As can be seen in the chart, at the 100% discharge point, a 100Ah cell under a 100 amp load is still 3v (x4 for 12v in a 12v nom. battery), yet the battery is fully discharged if measured by capacity. If measured by voltage there is still some capacity left, drag that out as well so the cell drops to 0v and you will permanently damage the cell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

Thank you Terry Craig and Bruce, oh yes you to Dottie,
Paul now understands more,and I guess that's is the next boy toy he will want
It is very handy being able to ask about things on the forum thank you Moderators
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) Take care Helen
Dot

Post by Dot »

Tell him not until you get a Girl present like, :idea: what about a massage, pedicure and a manicure (from an Australian shop) Go girl ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dapope

Post by dapope »

Hair dryer and straightener to run of the lithium batteries :D
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

What about a induction hot plate :?: :?: :?:
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote:What about a induction hot plate :?: :?: :?:
How much power would one of those take?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

Admins, Could you modify the spelling of the title so that down the track someone searching for Lithium could find this thread?
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Dot

Post by Dot »

Swisslulu wrote:Admins, Could you modify the spelling of the title so that down the track someone searching for Lithium could find this thread?
I agree with that request Lesley = done :D