Speeding

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
pet-els

Speeding

Post by pet-els »

NSW are considering using the truck average speed cameras on all motor vehicles.
As the cameras already take photos of all vehicles, they just have to use that info to issue fines.

PeterH
PeterH
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Speeding

Post by T1 Terry »

So the deterrent to speed is not the scare factor of the red and blue flashing lights but rather the loss of $$ and maybe the licence if the average speed violation was during a double demerit period and more than 1 offence during that trip.
Let's face it, this is not a program aimed at making the roads safer, it's aimed at revenue raising. The Mazda or kombi would be fine, they can both speed on the down hill bits but the up hill sections more than make up for any time gained :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

And they wonder where the respect went.

We have a couple of roads in Vic where they do this, its a rort. As soon as you know where the cameras are you can adjust your speed to suit just that location. SO those who are leaving the freeway speed up significantly after their last camera point. Or run fast before the camera then slow whist between them. Only good for catching joe average making a slight mistake (as usual)
The "safety" zealots in Australian government are lying, theiving bas#&%ta*ds, nothing short.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

They don't take photos of all vehicles they have markers that take photos of all vehicles over a certain length .
If you have a caravan or motorhome they will take your picture if only a car it don't take photo. If you look at the cameras you can see the flash if you are over the length.
And the photos are not for speed they are for time and motion, so trucks don't go over the allowed time between cameras.
Bernie.
Busman

Post by Busman »

Even the time between points is a joke.
I left after a consultation at Wauhope for some of my clients, to return home. Pulled out on the hwy behind a greyhound, marked 100 speed limited
My hilux could not keep up, he was up to 130 at times (this was 2 am) but of course every time he stopped for passengers I passed him. Those things are all gps'd now so company must be complicit.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Dot

Post by Dot »

Terry they may book you for not even "registering " a speed :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The Hume Highway point to point cameras just north of Melbourne - 3 or 4 sets - are for all vehicles. The overhead gantry style in NSW and SA are set up for trucks.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Steve, only a slight adjustment and they do the lot.
Computer works out the average speed and your done.

PeterH
PeterH
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote:Terry they may book you for not even "registering " a speed :lol: :lol:
That ones a standing joke between Margaret and myself, is loitering classed as a traffic offence? I actually accelerate at speed cameras so the Mazda isn't classed as an abandoned vehicle :lol:
I believe the cameras already have plate recognition and facial recognition software linked to them for log book checks etc, no idea how they would go with identical twins :lol: There would not be much upgrading required to check all vehicles as far as the cameras and software goes, but the cameras are part of the RMA in NSW and they only police trucks, not cars, so there would be a major piece of intelligence sharing required between the RMA and police..... a bit of an oxy moron there :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Bet they couldn't recognise my other face, hmmm now there is a thought for the next full moon. Hey Terry why not go through the next camera thingo in reverse? goes faster so I am told
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.