Seasons greetings all!

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
Loki

Seasons greetings all!

Post by Loki »

Hi,
I'm a solo traveler, currently returned to Tasmania from extensive travels through the Northern Territory, the QLD Gulf Country and the eastern mountains from Brisbane down on my return to Tasmania via the Bass Strait Ferry. My vehicle is a HiAce pop top with LOKI on the rear in big red letters. The name Loki comes from my daughters red setter so named. The van is set up for free camping with two 105AH AGM batteries and a 100W solar panel.

I am interested in photography and seeing this big country. I have a blog at akaloki.blogspot.com with a couple of web album links as well as commentary on my recent trips.

Happy holidays and safe travels!
Anton
Dot

Re: Seasons greetings all!

Post by Dot »

Hi Anton, welcome to this nice and happy forum. We just love pics of members rigs so feel free to share yours.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yes, welcome Anton.
I would have thought you would need a little more solar than that if you weren't doing much travelling?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Welcome to the forum Anton, you might run into Eddie the Bush Rat and his little power house dog, Max, they are solo travellers too. I will have a read of your travel blog as soon as I get a free couple of hrs, hard to find this time of year. Hope you enjoy it here and share some of your adventures with us... and photos, we love photos :D

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Loki

Post by Loki »

Img_1219zaz.jpg
Re solar
My main current draw is my fridge, which draws around 3.5A when it is on, and my laptop, which draws around 2A for a couple of hours a day. Other than that, when I am free camped I use LED lights running off rechargeable batteries. I don't mind 'roughing it' a bit as I consider camping to be just that. I was able to camp for 6 weeks away from a power point with no trouble - mind you, a spell of poor sunlight would be a bother as I'd most likely have to turn off the fridge or run the engine (the house batteries also charge when the engine is running).
Choosing a unit that suits is a real exercise, my main criteria was versatility, which the HiAce gives me but loses out somewhat on the creature comfort side; I live in Tasmania and the small size also fits into the cheaper rates on the Spirit. So far I've traveled 35,000km in it and loved it! More planned next year, meanwhile I'll enjoy the comfort of an armchair, microwave and double bed.
I've attaching a photo of the van.

Happy holidays,
Anton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thanks for the photo Anton, certainly looks a comfy unit for one. A portable solar panel as suppliment could be an option but storing it while travelling might be an issue then.
Enjoy the room, comfy chair and being able to stretch out in bed :lol: Merry Christmas

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Loki

Post by Loki »

Thanks Terry,
I should have mentioned the solar panel is portable, and YES! It takes up precious space, but it serves its purpose. I also have a smart charger for when I connect to power, or to keep the batteries topped up at home. I have a master circuit breaker for the 12V and I think my solar regulater will also turn off the 12V but I like to be sure! A friend of mine who is into radio recommended the smaller Anderson plugs, which will handle up to 45A (check andersonpower.com.au and look for the product PowerPole 15/45) and I find them real space savers.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Good one Anton and thanks for the pic, makes us all happier to see pics :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Anton,
As you already have the inconvenience of one fold up panel, two fold up panels isn't than much more :lol: We carry 4 x 100w fold out panels with the Kombi, they all plug into a common 50 amp Anderson plug using MC4 connectors, then we use a 10 mtr 6 B&S extension cable to plug into the socket mounted to the towbar, this then leads to the permanently fitted solar regulator, it make chasing the sun while parked in the shade and putting them out and away again that much easier. Eddie mounted his on the pop top and has a great pop top lift assist set up that is just brilliant thinking outside the square.

T1 Terry