Which air con unit?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Which air con unit?

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote:What type of air con does Eddie have on his bus, the set up looks great.
What type of a bus is it?
Eddie bought a Thermo-king unit out of China, 24v split system. Unfortunately the $$ fell during the whole assembly/transaction part so when it hit the Aust shores the exchange rate was very poor, so the GST and other chargers were a killer. The unit works great, personally I'd replace the condenser fan for a curved blade unit that runs much quieter, but he says he can't hear it inside and if it stops people parking too close at a camp spot it's done a great job :lol: I think this is the unit but maybe Eddie will come on to add more info http://www.thermokingtec.com/product1.aspx?id=193&pid=6

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Jon and Kay wrote:When last in Darwin I removed the bedroom overhead aircon and replaced it with an auto Maxxair fan. We use it every day, where we only ever used the aircon about one week per year.
We have since removed the front overhead aircon and are in the process of adding a split system Akai Inverter from Bunnings 2.6kw $549 4 star energy or a Fujitsu Inverter at $795?
We have one of the Fan-Tastic vent fans with a Maxx Air vent cover fitted at the rear that blows down over the bed, great for sleeping but it doesn't help in the high humidity during the day. The fully bus air con was removed during the roof repair/raise so there is no air con now while driving, so the split system is the logical choice as a dual function unit.
I thought about the Fujitsu and also the Daiken as it has the best rating of all, but the Kogan won out of price and unit size.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bob r

Post by bob r »

Terry I think the kogan is a bit hungry at 9.5 amps, the panasonic is 2.5 amps for cooling, although dearer.
Bob
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The Kogan unit has a COP of 3.77 so are we comparing the same figures? The Kogan site says the max power draw is 2,000w, so the 9.5 amp figure would need a voltage lower than 220vac. Next 2,000w x 3.77 = 7574w, so I'm guessing the 9.5 amps is rotor locked current. 2450 divided by 3.77 = 650 divided by 230 = 2.8 amps. The Panasonics 2.5 amps x 230vac = 575w. For an improvement of 75w the cost difference is still justifiable, but I've already paid for the Kogan unit and it's on its way so not a lot I can do about it now :| :x :?: I can always pull it back out if it's too power hungry and go for a the Fujitsu or what ever it is that is supposed to be the most efficient. The Kogan gets a 3.5 star rating so it can't be too bad.... I hope :?
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Many of the inverter split systems have a maximum draw of 3 to 4 amps.
The split systems all seem to need about 200mm space above the head unit. This appears the most difficult to achieve in a motorhome. Plus of course the space required before and after the compressor unit fan
Jon
Busman

Post by Busman »

Our Onsens ask for 50mm above clearance, both work fine
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Dot how big is the bedroom and can you close it off from the rest of the bus ?
Gary at the marina just fitted an A/C into his poptop caravan. I reckon that would be sufficient for you.
It draws about 1400w maximum............
Came ready gassed like most these days. Just install, plug and pray!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Jon and Kay wrote:Many of the inverter split systems have a maximum draw of 3 to 4 amps.
The split systems all seem to need about 200mm space above the head unit. This appears the most difficult to achieve in a motorhome. Plus of course the space required before and after the compressor unit fan
I think that clearance is for removing the cover and removing items without removing the unit from the wall.... but I could be wrong there. The split system we fitted to big bus wanted something around the 200mm clearance, I think there is maybe enough room to get a flat hand in between it and the roof, worked fine until it lost the gas, haven't bothered regassing it as I'll probably replace it with an inverter model when work resumes on the project.... if I live that long :(
Dot

Post by Dot »

BruceS wrote:Dot how big is the bedroom and can you close it off from the rest of the bus ?
Gary at the marina just fitted an A/C into his poptop caravan. I reckon that would be sufficient for you.
It draws about 1400w maximum............
Came ready gassed like most these days. Just install, plug and pray!
Thanks Bruce do you know what type that air con is? have a heavy curtain to separate the B/room which does work rather well in keeping either hot or cold out.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Just arrived back at the marina Dot. I'll ask Gary what brand it is. Very effective & he installed it himself in a day.
BruceS
Mannum, SA