The Myths about feeding your pets Organ meats

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

The Myths about feeding your pets Organ meats

Post by Dot »

Hello Dot,

There are plenty of myths around feeding organ meat to your pets. I’ve heard everything from liver causing a Vitamin A overdose, digestive issues, muscle weakness, liver stones and bone spurs, and giving dogs worms (an old wives tale), to organ meat being dangerous for small and toy breeds.

Why feed organ meat:
I can say with conviction that organ meats such as liver, heart, kidney, and even eyes, brain and trachea are a valuable part of a balanced, fresh meat diet. Think about it… What do wolves and wild cats eat? They don’t confine their feeding to the muscle meats of their prey; they eat their entire kill, internal organs and stomach contents included.

Aim to feed your pet all the organs they would have eaten had they hunted, caught and killed their food source as prey in the wild and you’ll be delivering them the most nutrient-dense part of that food source.

The benefits of feeding organ meats:
Organ meats make up approximately 20 percent of the ‘meat’ content of a carcass and are the nutritional powerhouse of the prey animal, containing many nutrients that aren’t present in the muscle meat and bones of that prey animal. Here’s a breakdown of the nutritional value of three of the most common organ meats.

Liver
Containing more nutrients, gram for gram, than any other food source, liver is the best natural source of vitamin A, is high in B vitamins, B12, folic acid and iron, and contains high levels of nitrogen-containing compounds.

Heart
The best natural source of co-enzyme Q10, the heart muscle also contains high levels of collagen and elastin, and is high in vitamin B12, iron, and potassium. Heart also contains significant levels of selenium, phosphorous and zinc.

Kidney
Low in fat, high in protein, and an excellent source of Vitamin B12, riboflavin and iron, kidney also provides useful levels of B6, Folate and niacin.

Organs are an important part of the ancestral (evolutionary) balanced diet for dogs and cats. Feeding the right balance of organ meat and muscle meat in combination with vegetable matter, provides the perfect nutrition source for your pets, nourishing digestive systems that are perfectly adapted to maximise health and longevity from this critical food source.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
glenda

Re: The Myths about feeding your pets Organ meats

Post by glenda »

Very interesting My little spoilt darling fuss-pot has her own ideas on what to eat. but if it is cold like out of the frezzer she will eat anything!! so I know have more options,
Thanks Dot
Hino 9mtr Bus-Conversion, Batteries: 200Ah x 24v LiFePO4. Solar: 260W x 24v Kyocera. Fridge: 240L x 24v Vitrifrigo. Inverter: 3000W x 24v Gen-Power. Etc.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Usually the furbabies like stuff at room temp rather than just out of the fridge but each to their own I guess. My Lad Brian has now decided he doesn't want the human grade roo or the Vets all natural cat roll but he has decided he likes Miss Meows Black Hawk food He will have a change of heart again soon I guess. (male) I think it is about time for an updated pic of your little girl Glenda, it has been a while since she last made an appearance. :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
Looking fwd to a photo of your pussy, too!
:shock:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
glenda

Post by glenda »

Pearl is the Boss!! :lol: Just love her to death!!
Picture of her in the cattle truck overseeing a load of Angus to Sale yard'
She sists up in the sleeper where she can see where she is going,

2nd Pict, She is getting tired & settling for a nap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hino 9mtr Bus-Conversion, Batteries: 200Ah x 24v LiFePO4. Solar: 260W x 24v Kyocera. Fridge: 240L x 24v Vitrifrigo. Inverter: 3000W x 24v Gen-Power. Etc.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Little Pearl has certainly grown since her first appearance on here and so cute.
glenda

Post by glenda »

Yes Dot all grown up a year old now,Big part of our life
Best Wishes
Glenda
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hello Dot

After last week’s newsletter about the benefits of feeding organ meats to our dogs and cats, some of my veterinary colleagues followed up with me on the subject of parasites, and in particular the risk of hydatid tape worms when feeding organ meats.

Hydatid tapeworms have a life cycle that involves dogs as a primary host. Dogs shed eggs (tapeworm segments) in their faeces, which can then be picked up and eaten by secondary hosts (most commonly sheep in Australia although cattle may also – but much less commonly – be infected).
Once the tapeworm eggs are ingested they go through a lifecycle that eventually results in the formation of large, fluid-filled cysts in the liver, lungs, and other abdominal organs. These are known as hydatid cysts. The cysts are full of eggs and, if the carcass of the sheep is then eaten by a dog (or fox, dingo, wild/feral dog), and the cysts are consumed the life cycle of the tapeworm continues inside the gut of the dog.

Hydatid tapeworms and humans
The tapeworms are not particularly dangerous to the dog, and are easily killed by routine worming (using an all-wormer that kills tapeworms), but they do present a risk to humans. If a person accidentally becomes infected by the eggs in a dog’s faeces, then hydatid cysts can develop inside that person’s abdomen – again often in the liver – and they can become very ill or even die. That is why sheep farmers are particularly zealous in worming their dogs and never allow dogs to eat sheep carcasses or offal. In fact in Tasmania, where hydatid tapeworm have been eliminated, it is illegal to feed sheep offal to dogs and any dog visiting Tasmania from the mainland must have a vets certificate demonstrating it has been wormed seven days prior to travel.

Feed organ meats safely
This is one of the main reasons I always advise clients to purchase any organ meats from their butcher, as these meats have been through a thorough meat inspection process and have been deemed fit for consumption by people.

To be even more certain, you can destroy any possible parasite eggs or larvae by freezing organ meats (this also applies to regular muscle meats) at a temperature of -12’C or colder for a minimum of 14 days. The organ meats we utilise in Vets All Natural food products have been frozen at -16’C for a minimum of three weeks and have been through the meat inspection process. Cooking also destroys the parasites, but unfortunately, it also destroys much of the natural nutritional value, so we do not recommend this option.

Given that most hydatid tapeworms come from infected sheep, one simple suggestion is to make sure that if you purchase liver for your pets it is beef liver not lamb or sheep liver (also known as lambs fry). If you avoid organ meats from sheep, then you greatly reduce the chance of any exposure to hydatid tapeworm.
If you follow these simple rules you can continue to safely feed wondrously healthy organ meats and allow your pets to reap the benefits of this rich array of nutritional powerhouse foods.
shonky

Post by shonky »

HI, all.

Glenda - is Pearl a Silkie or a small Aussie Terrier?
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.