What requirements for gathering

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Re: What requirements for gathering

Post by Dot »

If this doesn't get those fires lit under Terry's bum to get that bus done (enough to get Nth) then nothing will so come on Terry bugger everyone else's woes and hop to Rustic Inn you have 12 mths.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley wrote:Yowah has an opal festival too Deborah, it was really good the year that we attended.
Been there. Done that.
The Opal 'Festival' is just a market with lots of people selling the same basic opal stuff.
:? And that's about ALL that Yowah has to recommend it!
Otherwise I'd describe it as 'a piece of land displaying an absence of dirt'... if you follow. ;)
Reminds me of Andamooka, only more down-at-heel. :shock:

How far into Qld are people willing to travel?
En route home a coupla weeks ago, we stayed at the Charleville Bush Camp. :D
Two km from town on the Adavale Road, 500m after Adavale turnoff. Well-signposted just before turnoff and at gate (look for a little 'house' on the left.) Gateway is far enough off road for big rigs with toads &/or fivers to straighten up before entry. Sign says something like 'Find somewhere, set up camp, we'll be around later to collect camp fees.'
Great place! Great owner (Graham)! Visits happy hour most nights for a chat.
Actually asked campers for feedback & suggestions & acted on them... (see below).
Facilities: water (3 or 4 communal taps spread about); Dump Point (CMCA sponsored & the new design with funnel-shaped box); Happy-hour fire-pit (with wood supplied & lit by owner @ 1630~1700hrs-odd, and a windbreak being installed as we left - at suggestion of some campers!); 32acres to spread out in; THREE powered sites with private water taps.
Camper Requirements: Fully self-contained vans only (Graham says providing toilets would bring the backpackers in - doesn't want them!); non-smokers only (about 25% of paddock is dry Buffel grass - fire risk - camping area is mowed regularly, and expanded as required); no individual open fires (refer previous comment re fire risk) - didn't check about braziers/choofers, but outdoor BBQ cooking is OK.
Cost: $5 pn/pp. ie: $5/single, $10/couple pn. Powered sites: $20/pn single or couple.
For those wanting the 'security' of being in a CP, he runs one on a separate 12acre paddock 1km away on the next road.
Apparently it has Showers, Toilets, Laundries, etc... normal CP amenities.
Didn't visit that, so can't comment.

Charleville is a reasonably large country town: several pubs, coupla supermarkets, usual shops, cafes, etc. (RVFT!!)
Free RV parking right in centre of town, with toilet block in centre of small park around which big rig/caravan parking is permitted on a short U-shaped street. Caution: it's one-way!

Might be worth considering. Check entry & reviews on WikiCamps.
I'm sure Graham would be OK with maybe taping off an area close to the fire-pit for a Forum Gathering - providing he had firm numbers & dates.
Last edited by Greynomad on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Jon, Wikicamps is saying that a $10 pr night fee is now in at St Lawrence . :?: :?: :?:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
bob r

Post by bob r »

We were there four weeks ago dot only the donation box then.
Bob
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Dot wrote:Jon, Wikicamps is saying that a $10 pr night fee is now in at St Lawrence . :?: :?: :?:
Wiki who????
Yes, you appear to be right (it's becoming a habit :) )

The Council changed the rules, closing Camilla completely. I do not know how regularly they are patrolling the area, but new signs are meant to have been erected.
They will either make a fortune, or else find nobody will bother detouring into St Lawrence anymore.

It's getting very difficult to get a 'free' camp these days.
Jon
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

School Holidays in Qld 1st -12th July.
I have stayed at the Maroochydore State School during the holidays. May already be booked out , but if not , it's a terrific location.
(whoops , go wrong school, but fixed it)
Jon
Paramountcruiser

Post by Paramountcruiser »

Jon and Kay wrote:
Dot wrote:
The Council changed the rules, closing Camilla completely. I do not know how regularly they are patrolling the area, but new signs are meant to have been erected.
I think you will find that it was Clairview not Camilla Beach that was closed.

Camilla Beach is now $10 pn like St Lawrence.

See page 10 of following newsletter : http://www.isaac.qld.gov.au/documents/1 ... rch%202015
Neil
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

Flaggy Rock Cafe is just up the road from St Lawrence
We have stayed there, free if you make a purchase else $5pvpn. There is a spare paddock out the back. They may be interested in a group booking for a week?
Jon
bob r

Post by bob r »

Flaggy rock had great ice cream last time I was there
Bob
Jon and Kay

Post by Jon and Kay »

I am reliably informed by current visitors at St Lawrence that there is still a donation box, and nobody collecting fees. They do come around twice a week selling tickets for meat trays the benefits of which go to upgrading the facilities. Showers are $3 coin operated.
Jon