Fake lawns??

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Fake lawns??

Post by Dot »

Have any of you had any experience with the fake lawn? sick of trying to keep the lawn green etc.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
SteveW

Re: Fake lawns??

Post by SteveW »

You get what you pay for, Dot. My sister at Brighton SA has had a good quality "lawn" that has been down for 8 years and still looks good - no sign of wear or fading.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

We have, and have had for many years (10) fake lawn in the area leading to our front door and have been pleased with it. I just use a carpet sweeper to maintain it. There are different qualities available and we chose the top quality at the time. Heavy foot traffic will cause it to flatten but ours still looks reasonable. Some of ours is laid on concrete and some on packing sand.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks Steve & George. After seeing some in Buntings I was a bit "put off" but as with all things you get what you pay for. ? How do know which is a good brand / type because everyone knows you never trust a salesman. :) and they all say "their stuff is the best on the market."
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
TassyJim

Post by TassyJim »

I'll hire my dog out as a tester for you.
She lives fake lawn, it doesn't tickle as much as the real thing.

Jim
Jim & Jennene with Teddy & Pascale. RIP Scarlet
Used to have Iveco towing a 5th Wheeler
Now back to dreaming again...
Nomad's Almanac
http://www.c-com.com.au/nomad.htm
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks Jim:)
Does the fake grass get hotter than ordinary grass (lawn)?
MrsJeckyl

Post by MrsJeckyl »

Our son had a good quality fake lawn put in at his last house. It was laid on concrete and looked great, but the kids could not play out there in the summer as it was way too hot.

It may be better laid on sand.
Tomorrow - a mystical land where 99% of all human productivity, motivation & achievement is stored.
dapope

Post by dapope »

makes no difference what its laid on, it heats up way more than the real stuff.
Its a great underawning thing though. If you have laid it over concrete, you can at least wet it down for cooling.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Dot, you know it is the good stuff by the price, how thick/dense it is and how it looks. If it starts out looking like a pole of crap, nothing you can do to improve it. I had it at my last pre-school and in the really hot times, the kids stayed off the grass. Yes it was burning their feet.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lots of tree shade but enough air movement to stop any moss or fungi growing would do the trick, but you couldn't park the fleet of visitors on it. Perhaps crushed dolomite for the campground, an area of fake grass and an area of real grass out the back for the animals :D
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO