Wilbor Too

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
SteveW

Re: Wilbor Too

Post by SteveW »

Shouldn't you be able to leave the key in the off position and not use power (making sure you have unlocked the steering before it goes back to off!)?
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

My solar battery charger - it charges both a 100A deep cycle and the cranking battery that are separated by a two direction voltage sensitive relay - enabling both batteries to be charged by either the sun or the alternator.
IMG_3860-2.JPG
IMG_3863-2.JPG
P.S. The solar panel doubles as a carport.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

SteveW wrote:Shouldn't you be able to leave the key in the off position and not use power (making sure you have unlocked the steering before it goes back to off!)?
I would have thought so too. Once I left the key in the ignition overnight, not on just in, and the battery wouldn't start it in the morning. I'm buggered if I know what is draining it but I remove the keys now and all is good in the battery world. My invisi brake uses power from the toad battery when towing, it has a compressor in it and a vacuum pump but the tail light circuit is supposed to keep the battery up. It doesn't charge much but it does charge. The solar panel will fix it though ;)
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Come across that key left in causing a flat battery in other vehicles as well. We have a little battery powered scooter that sets off an alarm if moved without the key in but no alarm if the key is still in the slot but not turned on.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

no key in mine but an isolator switch in the battery compartment to do the same thing.
The isolator enables a big relay to allow all 24v function.
This relay uses some power by itself........
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

A client of mine with a Mercedes replaced 4 batteries over a 3 year period. Whenever they went away for a couple of weeks, leaving the Merc in a secure location during that time, they would find a flat battery on their return.

Finally found that unless the car was locked, their was a drain on the battery caused by the car's security system. Key was not left in the ignition.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

bagmaker wrote:no key in mine but an isolator switch in the battery compartment to do the same thing.
The battery isolator systems that are an add on part of the Li BMS systems I build are designed to pull min current when on but cut all discharge when tripped. A mini press button switch resets the contactor, maybe something like this could solve the problem.... but then all the radio presses and computer learned info would be lost so maybe not
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Not to mention the time spent trying to find the code for the radio. :x :evil:

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

I think I might put a solar panel on the Toad ;)
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

T1 Terry wrote:
bagmaker wrote:no key in mine but an isolator switch in the battery compartment to do the same thing.
The battery isolator systems that are an add on part of the Li BMS systems I build are designed to pull min current when on but cut all discharge when tripped. A mini press button switch resets the contactor, maybe something like this could solve the problem.... but then all the radio presses and computer learned info would be lost so maybe not
I cannot imagine the main relay pulls a 24v battery down in the time it takes mine (a day or so) so there is probably other energy theft going on too.
T1 do you know what they draw?