Supersparkies new toy.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Dot

Re: Supersparkies new toy.

Post by Dot »

Never thought Mr Bandit was going anywhere apart from in the new rig, ? Bandits kennel :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote:I have asked her to get a HR licence, just in case someone wants to be pedantic about towing a trailer.
We are still debating the name for the new toy, it will sort itself out soon enough. I wanted to call it Harvey, but that is taken, apparently.
It is a 30 footer with more grunt than I expected, heaps more than the non-turbo Coaster could muster.
About halfway through the Dipper I suggested that the bride holds the camera because I was getting a little busy. Same in the middle of the Chase. Those boys in the V8's make that look easy at warp speed.
The day we went around everyone did 60k down Conrod because there was a speed camera available to give an exact figure via the post.
If the trailer is that big you will need a heavy combination, not a heavy rigid. The difference between MR and HR is driving a truck with a crash gearbox (no syncros) and something very hard to master while trying to come to terms with wheeling around a heavy rig and the difference in stopping requirements and safety zone requirements etc. What is the new rigs GVM? LR covers up to 8 tonne GVM and a trailer up to 9 tonne and an automatic or syncro gearbox, MR 2 axles but no weight restriction but still the 9 tonne trailer limit and an automatic or syncro gearbox. HR is any rigid vehicle and axle combination, any gearbox including a full crash box but still the 9 tonne trailer restriction.
This rule may have changed recently to an endorsement on the licence restricting the driver to an automatic or full syncro gearbox and requires an upgrade to a crash gearbox at a later date if this upgrade is required. HC allows a trailer greater than 9 tonne, there is no lighter class licence and in NSW at least, you must have held a HR licence for 12 mths min.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

The GVM is 8500 and the GCM is 12000. I may have been a little confused by what she has organised. Might only be MR, but she did ask me the GVM and if it is a synchro box.It is only two axles. The trailer will only be a little Tilta with a Jimny on top, the same as Ray has with Girt.
All will be revealed tomorrow, when she returns from her first lesson. At the moment she is not looking forward to it. But I keep telling that she can do it.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

I am pretty sure you can get by on a Heavy Rigid licence with that rig and trailer.
From the vicroads site https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licence ... categories
(national HV rules apply I am fairly sure) -
" HR licence allows you to drive "a motor vehicle that has a gross vehicle mass (GVM) more than 8 tonnes and has 3 or more axles (whether or not the wheels on those axles are on the road)"
And, for the trailer-
"a heavy rigid vehicle that is towing a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) that has a GVM not more than 9 tonnes"
So as long as your trailer is under 9 tonnes -3500kg as you say- Heavy Rigid should suffice.
Dot

Post by Dot »

If it is anything like my test the first session will be about pre checks etc I didn't have to say what type of box or axles as we hadn't got the bus yet, still had the old winnie. Wait till the nice man asks her to do the parallel park with mirrors only and gives you one try at it :) :) And of course she can do it :) go for it Terrie
Our bus GCM is 12t the GVM of bus is 11.025t and 2 axles (the actual weight of the bus is 10t) and I have a MR.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

When we got our bus, GVM 10500, I didn't have the required licence so drove around Newcastle with father as passenger for a week, then did the Medium Rigid test with RTA examiner in our bus, no problem. The bus has a trailer restriction of 4.5 tonne.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Peter and Sandra

Post by Peter and Sandra »

MR will be enough for that weight, she might find the biggest problem will be the load fastening section of the test and doing a truckies knot ;-))
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Dave, Terri can tie you in knots, can't she?
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Peter and Sandra wrote:MR will be enough for that weight, she might find the biggest problem will be the load fastening section of the test and doing a truckies knot ;-))
As I did the test in our bus, at the Newcastle RTA/RMS, I wasn't required to do any of the load fastening bits.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Busman

Post by Busman »

VP is about 17 tonnes, trailer is over 4 tonnes HR is all that is required, trailer weight must be under 10 tonnes in Qld.
I got an old C class lic when I built the first bus, examiner grumbled about having to go around the block as I had army lic for 52 tonne Centurion tanks and 11 tonne Armoured Personnel Carriers, he said if you can drive those you can drive a suburban AEC !!
Ah, the good old days...........
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !