What metal

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
supersparky

Re: What metal

Post by supersparky »

Dot, I know it isn't clever to answer a question with a question, but what is young Gman trying to achieve? If you give us a clue maybe we can help.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Stainless steel slides well in aluminum, but does wear it out over time. Have seen some use lubricant to make it slide better, but that only binds with the shavings of aluminum and clogs it up. Depending in weight, a piece of hard synthetic carpet attached will make it slide much better.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

metal to metal doesn't play well with aluminium.
Solid HDPE would work, what are you rubbing on it?
HDPE is the type of plastic chopping boards are made of
I have some 6mm UHDPE I could send you, typically used on top of truck turntables
Dot

Post by Dot »

supersparky wrote:Dot, I know it isn't clever to answer a question with a question, but what is young Gman trying to achieve? If you give us a clue maybe we can help.
Want to make our table in the bus slide along against the wall using 2 aluminium channels, however the max size of the metal that slides in the channel is 5mm x 25mm. Have put sliding door rollers in the aluminium channel and have also sprayed lube in the channel but still it is hard to move because the rollers are grinding off the aluminium as it moves and clogs up. Hope I have got this right :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
homeless

Post by homeless »

Would help if we knew how much room you have to play with eg between the door and the runner.
What about a bit of an old plastic cutting board cut to size.
If they both have a channel you could use a few ball bearings they run fairly easy. Just need a dob of something to stop them running out.
If tight clearance try some door grease from Repco or similar.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

Dot wrote:
supersparky wrote:Dot, I know it isn't clever to answer a question with a question, but what is young Gman trying to achieve? If you give us a clue maybe we can help.
Want to make our table in the bus slide along against the wall using 2 aluminium channels, however the max size of the metal that slides in the channel is 5mm x 25mm. Have put sliding door rollers in the aluminium channel and have also sprayed lube in the channel but still it is hard to move because the rollers are grinding off the aluminium as it moves and clogs up. Hope I have got this right :roll:
What about S/S channel rather than alloy?
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks guys, G is going to try using polished steel with assistance from a lubricant.
Brian um what door are you speaking of? the table is on the opposite wall to the door.. :) have you been sipping that special honey drink?? :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Dot

Post by Dot »

Thanks for those jon, we shall make the effort to go to Masters
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Dot, Bunnings will have the same if they are closer.