Cape Tribulation & Cooktown.

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
pet-els

Re: Cape Tribulation & Cooktown.

Post by pet-els »

Chuck,
Last time I did it I left the 5'er at The Lions Den hotel and drove to the Bloomfield river crossing. Went and saw the falls then drove back to the pub.
Then went to Wonga beach CP left the 5'er there and drove north across the Daintree to Cape Trib. and up to the Bloomfield river and back to Wonga beach.
Great drive lunch etc at Cape Trib.

PeterH
PeterH
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

We drove the Nissan all the way to Cooktown stayed two days in the "free" camp $5. Then a further 4 days at a private property camp on the Endeavour River. No power but dunnies and showers . And no bloody fish .
Then went back to Mareeba rodeo grounds and hired a car for a week ( from Ron's cheap car hire) Yer I know I'm a tight arse .
We took a air tour to Cape York . was a one day tour but for us was worth the money Carol cant do the rough roads anymore plus when dunny needed its NEEDED .
Bernie .
shonky

Post by shonky »

Hi, all.

The only reason for going to Cooktown ( IMHO) is to stop at the Palmer River Roadhouse. Moderate camping fees, nice museum of the gold mining era, good staff, Corona's six bucks and the burgers are formidable.

Love Mareeba Rodeo grounds, short walk into town, friendly natives and the best coffee ( IMHO) in Queensland.
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks all.

The only reason we're going to Cooktown is coz we're up 'ere... & that's as far as I'd wanna take the van.

Bruce, I think when Dot reads the comment re the 'baked beans' she will either loose her breakfast, start to choke on it or try to take a big gasp of air at the same time as she has a mouth full.... then redecorate the kitchen walls with a 'textured' coating. :lol:

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall!! :twisted:

Talk about a coincidence. Yesterday got a phone call from Ash'n'Wendy - 'Weezaknickenoff' - to say they were in the Malanda area so told them where we were & they popped over just after lunch in their little Suzi - left the bus.

Lovely to see them again & their still the same lovely friendly couple we met at 40 Mile Beach back... when?

Sat around & just chatted for about 5 hours - wow, so much fun.

Speaking of coincidences... they're on their way to a caretakers position at Cape Tribulation Camping NG - no idea what the NG means - so guess where we will be staying in that area? Two or three days there then backtrack & head up to Cooktown for another cupla days if we can find a nice spot to stay.

Might even take Shonky's suggestion & try the Palmer River Roadhouse... the burger sounds challenging. :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Dot

Post by Dot »

How did you know I was entertaining the idea of redecorating the kitchen?? Baked beans and runny eggs on top sounds a good idea for tea tonight, thanks for the idea, what a champion :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Chuck you can go all the way to Cooktown via Palmer River, back down to Mossman down the range from Mt Molloy to Mossman then up over the ferry on the Daintree up to Cape Trib. That way you have all your own comforts with you. If you do that at Mossman I shall introduce you to my cousins who have a cane farm just south of Mossman with house beside the highway. Beautiful drive down the coast from Mossman to Cairns then back up the Palmerston range at Innisfail. Just a suggestion. xx
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
Macca

Post by Macca »

Should have remembered yo have been to Cairns a few times so the pull back up the range to Mt Molloy from Mossman if you go as my suggestion would not be a problem with your vehicle if our old Patrol does not have problem, even though it is about 8k.
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
GregnDee

Post by GregnDee »

Ok, there's a couple of good places to stay in Cooktown....just outside, just north of Cooktown ....endeavourriverescape.com
Plenty of room, very nice people, and not too expensive.
Lots to see and do in that area.....
We are now in Bowen btw!

Hugs
Dee
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

endeavourriverescape That's the place we stayed at couldn't remember the name Thanks Dee .
And as Kay said the drive from the Daintree south is worth it .
We could not cross on the ferry at the Daintree because of a clause in the contract when we hired the car .
Bernie .
Macca

Post by Macca »

I would not go all the way down the Bloomfield track to Cape Trib. with the van. I meant back the highway to Mt Molloy then down to Mossman