Miles from Utah

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Miles from Utah

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote:The good old days hey? But those lyrics appear to make the Boon docks sound like the "wrong side of town" like Broadmeadows (Melb) Elizabeth (SA) etc
:o So it's a step up from Strath then Dottie? Welcome to the forum Grizzman, we aren't all bad, not quite sure how to get my name out of list though :? Tell us about BoonDocking in the US, something I've always been fascinated in because the climate can be a tad cool over that side and freezing is a serious issue over there, water pipes, and tanks, even the Propane in the tank from some of the stuff I've read, so how do you work around that when free camping? I've seen electric warmer blankets over water pipes both in and out of RV's and warming blankets for Propane tanks, they'd have a fit if we were to do something like that over here.
Followed the travels of a pair in a converted bus called the Technomads or something like that, but they don't really seem to freedom camp in the sense that we do, so hopefully you can clear up any misconceptions when it comes to what BoonDocking US style really means.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Terry, we have a wood heater in our bus and it never gets below t-shirt temps, even when snowing. It was 2deg on the day and below freezing over night. Carry a powerful electric chains saw and no one knows your cutting wood, we get ours of the side of the roads mostly. Or some nice person whose venue we've just played at, gives us some wood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dot

Post by Dot »

That is great, is that in Tassie NP?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Yep, Devonport, always a lovely place to be in winter. It's always freezing and raining in July, but the bus is lovely and warm.

I bit you good night, time to eat.
grizzzman

Post by grizzzman »

Dot wrote:Hi yu Mr Grizzman,
thanks for the explanation of boondocking, :) Do you get out woop woop very much and if so do you have solar, genny etc. Glad you have a thick skin it does come in handy here :) the others shall be around soon so get ready, they aren't a bad bunch . Have you been to Australia at all? Please don't say you have a JEEP...:)
At this point Dot we are weekend warrior's. We get out 1 to 3 times a month, with a couple of 10 day adventures. No RV parks for us. My wife Want's to vacation in Australia , so who knows? Perhaps one day? We have 640 watts of solar on the roof. No gen. (Don't much care for the noise) Except in the city, we have no need for A/C. We use altitude for temp control.
2019 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S Trailer
640 Watts solar ElectroDacus SBMS0 3 DSSR20 (TS60 backup)
150 AH Lifepo4 3P4S 208AH CG2 hybrid system
Boondocking is my game
"If you are not learning, you are dying"
grizzzman

Post by grizzzman »

Wilbor wrote:I had a look at your van layout, looks very nice. I thought that it is a lot of weight for a single axel though :shock:
It's a double axle ;)
Boondocking is my game
grizzzman

Post by grizzzman »

native pepper wrote:Welcome yank, are you still cruising in Disney land, or Aus.
Still in Disney Land as you put it :D Funny you said it that way. Went to Disney last year in the trailer for Christmas.
Boondocking is my game
bob r

Post by bob r »

Welcome Grizzman ....he don't drive a Jeep Dot he drives a Ford. :D

Bob
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

Dot wrote:
Wilbor wrote:I had a look at your van layout, looks very nice. I thought that it is a lot of weight for a single axel though :shock:

That's what you said about me :lol: :lol:
Now that's funny :lol: :lol:
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

A mate of mine and fellow member of the All American Car Club of Cairns (in North Queensland for Grizzman) has been to the US a number of times and on his last trip sent some photos at a car race, NASCAR I think. In the photo, as well as the track, were dozens of big RV's, not one had a solar panel on it.

What is the solar use really like on RV's over there Grizzman, it's very well used here, I have 1050 watts on the roof and 150 on the toad
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too