Thought for Today

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Thought for Today

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:28 pm My pocket knife has a blade & pair of scissors. :D what would you call my pocket knife?
A folding utility knife? An anorexic Swiss Army Knife?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:19 pm If you have in your hand a gizmo with holes for fingers in one end and two intersecting blades on the other, it's called a "Pair of Scissors"

Does that mean my pocket knife, with only one blade is called "A Scissor"

:? 8-)
Like a pair of pants, you get two legs but only one garment, a pair of scissors actually has two handles and two blades, our chook shears at home come apart in the middle for cleaning, so would each half be a scissor or half a pair of scissors?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

No Terry, it isn’t a Swiss Army knife, belonged to my Dad, only 50mm long.

Really neat little pocket knife, all the 5 g’son from the 25 year old to the eight year old have put their hand up for it. :lol: :lol:
55BB2E54-449B-43F0-995C-DC921E9D080E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shirley & Bruce.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Just the blade & scissors.
2AFF1C6D-0511-4E44-9DAD-72E3ABE3E34C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shirley & Bruce.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Shirley, If I'm memory is even halfway correct, when I was a kid, maybe 60 years ago, we used to call them a scout knife.
But that may be because you could only buy them at the scout shop. Don't reckon that 'scout shops' exist anymore either. Don't recall utility 'anything' being a word until Batman turned up in the 60's. Kapoow. :lol:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

David don’t think it is big enough to be a scouts knife, only 50mm long, I was a girl guide & my guide pen knife was at least twice as big.
The scouting movement started in Australia in 1908, Dad was born in 1912, he never belonged to the scouts, I always remember him having the little pen knife, never asked him how he come by it. :?
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:36 pm No Terry, it isn’t a Swiss Army knife, belonged to my Dad, only 50mm long.

Really neat little pocket knife, all the 5 g’son from the 25 year old to the eight year old have put their hand up for it. :lol: :lol:
55BB2E54-449B-43F0-995C-DC921E9D080E.jpeg
I did say it was an anorexic one :lol: I remember my grandad had one very similar with bone as the body sides, yet another family heirloom that has been lost without a trace unfortunately .... maybe one of the nephews scored it. It had an awl as well and it had a hook cut in it near the tip that could be used as a sewing needle to pull a thread back through after making the hole with the awl ..... I remember him mentioning something about being something they either made or were issue with in the war .... but he didn't say which one, he was in both the first and second and deployed all over the place, but he would never talk about it .......

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Now here's an idea for those up on the modern speak
Reclassify.jpg
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The hard truth any kombi owner knows too well

Moneygon.jpg
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:04 am The hard truth any kombi owner knows too well

Moneygon.jpg
Been there
Dun that !

I had a 74 Sunliner Camper and had my hand in my wallet a lot of times.
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.