Traditional Medicine??

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Traditional Medicine??

Post by Greynomad »

Friend bought some “Irmangka Irmangka Bush Balm.”
Label features the aboriginal flag, and says, “Traditionally used by Aboriginal people of Central Australia to relieve muscle pain, joint inflammation, cramps, arthritis, cold & flu symptoms.”
List of ingredients:
Beeswax
Eremophila Alternifolia (Ed: Poverty Plant or Emu Bush)
and….
Olive Oil 🤔

Hmmmmmm…
I wasn’t aware that the aboriginal people grew olives. 🤭
And the early colonists & explorers failed to mention finding a press to extract the oil in aboriginal camps.
Thought the trees and extraction technology were introduced by later arrivals.
🤔🤔🤔
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Re: Traditional Medicine??

Post by Noggins »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 am Friend bought some “Irmangka Irmangka Bush Balm.”
Label features the aboriginal flag, and says, “Traditionally used by Aboriginal people of Central Australia to relieve muscle pain, joint inflammation, cramps, arthritis, cold & flu symptoms.”
List of ingredients:
Beeswax
and….
Olive Oil 🤔

Hmmmmmm…
And the early colonists & explorers failed to mention finding a press to extract the oil in aboriginal camps.
🤔🤔🤔

Apparently, according to the author of the Dark Emu, the Aboriginal People had a complete agricultural system in place before Australia was Settled by Non-Aboriginal peoples.
So anything was possible, maybe the technology was well hidden from prying eyes. :roll:

Ron :lol:
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:44 am Friend bought some “Irmangka Irmangka Bush Balm.”
List of ingredients:
Beeswax
and….
Olive Oil 🤔

Hmmmmmm…
🤔🤔🤔
My grandmother a Wiradjuri woman, told me of many healing compounds and natural oils they used, which came from eucalyptus and wattles mostly, they also used resins from certain trees and bushes which they heated before using. My Gran had a stone bowl from her mother which she would put on the stove and heat things to make poultices and things she put on our cuts and bruises, wattle resin melted into wonderful oily stuff and we used to chew some of it, it had a really sweet taste. Being a young bloke took little notice and by the time I started to, she had passed away so missed out on heaps of knowledge, but did retain some of it and it has been a great help. She also built a fish trap in the Lower Tarwin river to catch fish and eels, loved baked eel.

What was used, was dependent on where you lived, in the north healing things were different to in the east and south. I use some today and follow the dietary regime taught to me, along with the better aspects of European foods, but never the health destroying rubbish that's produced today.

Sadly it's pure ignorance and elitist racism that tries to make out indigenous people were inept at life. The reality is, they survived over 50000years successfully and in harmony with nature and others, todays ideological humans have almost destroyed the planet in just a few hundred years. It's not rocket science to see who was the most intelligent and successful, ideological humanity will probably be gone within a decade at the rate we are wrecking the planet and the life on it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Amazing the Aboriginal people survived here in Australia for 50,000 yrs & never appeared to constructed any type of permanent homes or buildings, certainly lived a nomadic lifestyle.
My g'mother's had several natural remedies for almost everything & grew so many plants & herbs that she used in same, she prepared, made everything very little was purchased from a shop.
Shirley & Bruce.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:11 pm Amazing the Aboriginal people survived here in Australia for 50,000 yrs & never appeared to constructed any type of permanent homes or buildings, certainly lived a nomadic lifestyle.
My g'mother's had several natural remedies for almost everything & grew so many plants & herbs that she used in same, she prepared, made everything very little was purchased from a shop.
Shirley, it's propaganda that all indigenous people were nomads. The nomads were desert dwellers and had to move according to the seasons, for coastal and forest indigenous, they had stone and timber houses and never moved. Of course they traveled to different places to collect seasonal foods, tribal gatherings and for leisure using well designated bush highways which were clearly sign posted and no different to today with people having holiday homes and traveling round the place. In reality, it's modern Aus humans who are closer to nomadic, I believe we change homes about 7 times in our lives on average. Indigenous lived in the place they were born for their entire lives, unless they were outback/desert dwellers then they moved from place to place and those places were the same each season mostly.

They also had agriculture, but they used natural growing and encouraged food plants with fertilisation and watering. Unlike today where humans destroy the land with their intensive chemical growing methods. Somewhere I have a photo and drawing of my grandmothers grandmothers house and it was made of stone and wood. Nothing like todays homes, but at one stage I made one much the same and lived in it in the outer suburbs of Melbourne before being discovered. It consisted of digging a hole into the side of a hill, covering it with branches leaves and bark, with a earthen fire place at the by side of the entrance. the smoke went outside and the heat stayed inside.

In Victoria and NSW there are still remnants of the indigenous stone houses, agricultural workings and fish traps running from rivers and creeks that could be opened or shut off to trap fish and eels. In Tas the Europeans threw the indigenous out of their huge timber and stone dwellings, using them for religious services and in the afternoons after church, hunting and killing indigenous for sport.

Today, sure we have technology, but it's very destructive to the environment and is finite, as we waste everything we use. Indigenous technology revolved round necessity and usefulness and was not harmful to themselves or environment. To me they were much more advanced than us, there is no question about it, they lasted 50000 years and had the country in pristine condition, working with nature. Today after just 200+ years and under the guidance of ideological insanity, the country is on it's last legs and won't recover until most of us are gone.

What make me laugh and cry, is our technology could be so beneficial for the country and future, but when you run everything on elitist profit growth and believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden will save us all, nature and the future have no hope.
Dot

Post by Dot »

My friend in NZ is part Native American Indian, she does medicines /cooking etc that her great gran mother passed down.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I eat potatoes .... I must be Irish?
Probably some screw in the Goal system passed them onto me?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

BruceS wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm I eat potatoes .... I must be Irish?
Probably some screw in the Goal system passed them onto me?
:shock: Does that mean you got spudded?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Ummmm….
Dottie,
Spudding is what oil drillers do when they’re drilling into virgin soil. 😳
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"