OH Crappppp

Place your jokes in this section. A little naughty will be tolerated but please no really vulgar ones!!! If you might be offended it may be better to bypass this section!!!
2foot6

Re: OH Crappppp

Post by 2foot6 »

Heading to Melb on the highway from my home the first charger is 85 k's away, none in the two towns nearby. There is a charger 30k's in the other direction, pointless for me to add 80k,s to get to Melb on a different road. :oops:
Last edited by 2foot6 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
Dot

Post by Dot »

So what would be the best distance you could go before conking out? eg Going from Adelaide to Darwin? would you get there
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Our nearest charging station is either Albury (50km east)or Euroa (130km south).
Dunno about north… rarely head that way.
And west? Probably Adelaide.
Last edited by Greynomad on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dot wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:13 pm So what would be the best distance you could go before conking out? eg Going from Adelaide to Darwin? would you get there
Only if you carry a 2kw generator & 50~100 litres of petrol in the boot… and have a total of a week to wait while it recharges. 😳🙄
How much petrol would you use to get there in your current car?

Australia obviously doesn’t have the charging infrastructure yet and — if gummint history is any guide — won’t have for 20~30 years.
No wonder the manufacturers are ignoring us.

And comparing Oz with Denmark or any other European country is ridiculous. TASMANIA is bigger than Denmark… how many charging stations does Tassie have?
Last edited by Greynomad on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

So in other words for use only in a big city
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

PREZACKLY!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:09 pm Are those recharge stations all over the country?
I guess t depends on what electric car you drive. If it has a range of 100km or less, than it is only ever going to be a shopping trolley, but they were the early lead acid battery powered DIY built units. Even the DIY built units these days generally have 200km to 400km range, unless it just a town run around, then why bother with the extended range.
EV's in the market place now have ranges from 275km to over 700kms, you would have to wonder why someone would take a car with a 275km range on a long trip, it would be like driving a car with a 15 ltr fuel tank and expecting to get across the stretches travelling from Ceduna to Norseman without a jerry can or two ....
Most of the all round EV's these days have a 400km plus range, you might find areas where that doesn't get you from one charging point to the next, but then you will find roads where the same fuel tank range would leave you stranded, even in the most economical vehicles driven very economically see 6ltrs/100kms would need a 25 ltr tank to stagger into the next fuel station. You can't pull up with a few solar panels and top up the fuel tank, can you? It might mean being on the side of the road for a day to get enough charge to get to the next charging spot, but if no one comes past in a day with the fuel powered vehicle, you are no closer to getting to some where when you can refill .....

If you watch that video with the bloke who deliberately runs a Tesla out of battery power, he has an electric jerry can or two in the boot, he doesn't use much out of those electric jerry cans to get him to the next charge point ..... So the B/S about not being able to carry sparks in a tin is shown to be just that, B/S ...

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:21 pm Screenshot 2022-10-23 203914.jpgI am in the search for a new car and was thinking of going hybrid or electric. I changed my mind yesterday after looking at the stats for an MG (Chinese)car, If I drive the car say 150k/s per day , I will never get the battery fully charged by my calculations unless I spend big dollars to buy and install a 6.6 kw charger. The extra cost of buying the hybrid or electric car in the first place would buy a lot of fuel, then add the cost of the better charger, so I will remain adding to the worlds problems by using fossil fuels. I'm sure somebody on the forum can give me good advice. :D
So the 54 mins to go from empty to full would take that much out of your time left on earth? How long does shopping take or a good meal to eat, including the nature stop that we all have to have before or not long after eating?

I think you are plucking at straws Peter, the home charger is only designed as a top up device, do you reach home with an empty fuel tank every time?
How long do you have to park at home for the fuel tank to refill to 100%? You can only compare apples with apples Peter, so give us an idea how long it takes to make enough fuel at home to fill an empty tank?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:55 pm Not quite as well-represented as petrol stations.
Itr will be interesting to see how that goes in 10 yrs time ... or even 5 yrs, half the life expectancy of a new vehicle purchase these days ....

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

2foot6 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:10 pm Heading to Melb on the highway from my home the first charger is 85 k's away, none in the two towns nearby. There is a charger 30k's in the other direction, pointless for me to add 80k,s to get to Melb on a different road. :oops:
Even if you arrived home with a completely drained battery in "turtle mode" how long would it take the home charger to add 85kms worth of power back into the battery?

T1 Terry