for T1

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Peter and Sandra

for T1

Post by Peter and Sandra »

Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
Greynomad

Re: for T1

Post by Greynomad »

AMAZING!! :o :o
I want one! :D

... Oh, they're out of production. :cry: :cry:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Peter and Sandra

That's apparently the only one left and they only made three. Some clever people around when you consider the tech that wasn't available back then.
Oka 4WD camper/motorhome, 1100w solar, 400ah lithium, diesel heating, HWS and cooking
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

A great unit BUT I would not want to be changing the inside rear wheel when it goes flat...I wonder if the RACV/MRMA or similar would do it for me? :lol: :lol:
I aspire to inspire before I expire.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Being a one off, it would retain its value, but otherwise, it seriously devalued a split window kombi ....
This one sold for $24,000, but no restoration history
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/20 ... OS57ECI00/

This one was April this yr, bidding reached $85,000 but didn't sell ....
https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-20080955 ... ivered-rhd

This one reached $202,000 in 2015

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/d ... ion-49456/

A fully restored split window Kombi with all the photos showing the restoration process in 2022 would sell at a private sale at around the $300,000 mark .... if you could find one for sale ;)

All the modified split window and bay window kombi's you see, have only pushed up the price of the fully restored units, because they are a vanishing commodity.
So, if you find one in a farm shed that hasn't become a chook shed and isn't rusted out, might be an idea to keep it on the quiet and see if you can negotiate a price ...... you will need to throw at least $100,000 at it to get it to the big $$ market, but if the whole restoration is photo and video catalogued, you are in the driver's seat when it comes to resale value or simply as an investment .... that will never loose value

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Peter and Sandra

The PMG had some when I started my apprenticeship, we flogged them hard, used to rev them out until the spring in the rotor button shorted out the spark and then it went into chaffcutter mode and cut power drastically.
I was an older apprentice (started after 6th form/year12) so had my licence and was right into cars and engines so it didn't take long until I worked out that a short piece of plastic cable sheath slid over said spring would stop it compressing due to centrifugal force and cutting the spark which then in turn would allow the engine to rev freely to destruction which it never did but I had the fastest splitty in the depot, it also used the most fuel ;-)))
The supervising senior tech in charge who was also a bit of a petrol head knew what I had done and threatened me with serious trouble if I broke it so I shortened the piece of cable sheath so that eventually it would self govern before destruction. I don't think he realised I'd drilled the main jet a whisker and changed the timing;-)).
Now that yard full of splittys would be worth a bit. They went really well off road with the portal hubs on the rear giving plenty of ground clearance and allowing the power to the ground without wheelspin. Which started me down the 4wd path as my next personal vehicle was a FJ40 Landcruiser and I've had 4wd's ever since.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Ah yes, the reduction hub splitties, every one of them that gets restored steals a 5 rib gearbox out of a late bay so the road speed is better ..... a 2 ltr gearbox and 1800 type 4 engine and they'll wind right off the clock, needle down in the middle of the odometer .... well mine does that regular anyway :lol: Unbelievable off road capabilities for just a rear wheel drive vehicle ... I'll see if I can find the video of a group of them doing the trip to the tip with all the river crossings and driving up the beach ....
We did the Rainbow Beach drive including the loop over the sandhills and through the bush tracks on our honeymoon, surprised a lot of people, including the tour operators who said the kombi would never do it when we went on the tour with them the day before :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Terry,

These might interest you.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004855985383.html?

I ordered a set as I'm tired of grinding down rivets.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

We have a number of different sets of those Jon, plus some special made tools and they still manage to make terminals that we can't remove :lol: Ran into one of those a few weeks back on a satellite box thingy, the wire had pulled out of the terminal but try as I might, I couldn't get it out. Ended up cutting that piece of the plug away and determined I was tackling the problem the correct way, but the strain of the wire pulling out of the terminal had curled the locking tab over so there was no way of depressing it and pulling the terminal back out. Soldered the wire back onto the terminal, used one of the round removal tools to form the hollow section required and built up the missing piece with 2 pack 5 min epoxy, worked a treat, so yet another work around I won't remember the next time I run into a similar problem :roll:

T1 Terry