River level at Loxton

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: River level at Loxton

Post by T1 Terry »

The photo here viewtopic.php?p=137363#p137363 with Brian standing on his walkway, this morning we tied up to the top rail of the walkway, the deck of the boat is just level with the white post top ....
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Found the photos
Looking right from Brian's walkway.jpg
Looking right from Brian's walkway, the side of the dingy is against the top rail. you can see how high the other boats are with their deck roughly level with the top of the bollards
Looking forward from Brian's walkway 2.jpg
That is the looking across the road in front of Brian's houseboat and up towards the road, you can just see the orange Prius parked on the side of the road that runs past the houses.
Looking towards the gate from Brian'swalkway.jpg
This is looking left from Brian's walkway back towards the entry gate Check out the gallows the neighbour constructed, as soon as the wind catches the houseboat and it is high enough to go over the bollards, that will get pounded into splinters I reckon

T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Do the gallows need a building or a seaworthy certificate?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:40 pm Do the gallows need a building or a seaworthy certificate?
I doubt it would get either :lol: It's tied onto the bollards and handrail with ratchet straps and what looks like sticky tape .... there are other example closer to the gate that don't even have the rear bracing supports :roll: The funny thing about the gallows house boat, he has left for higher ground but threatened to sue anyone if the stepped onto his boat or messed with the ropes ..... seems once a boat slips its moorings it becomes a salvage boat ...... no idea what you'd do with it if you did salvage it, it's not like you could take it out on the river and go anywhere with it until the flood is over, so it would have to remain within the confines of the marina I guess and that could prove tricky regarding legal salvage rights

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Thats what happened with the last Brisbane River floods. Docks and jetties floated off their bollards with whatever was attached to them and head downstream and out into the bay. It was 'interesting television' watching some of those things floating downstream at a rate of knots. Most didn't make it to the bay, they got smashed up into bigger things like bridge pylons and ferry terminals. It was sad to watch.
One houseboat even had a bloke on board trying to steer it, but no luck.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

bit like the old paddle steamers.

They would head upstream in flood and hope to get back in time with out getting grounded.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:08 pm Thats what happened with the last Brisbane River floods. Docks and jetties floated off their bollards with whatever was attached to them and head downstream and out into the bay. It was 'interesting television' watching some of those things floating downstream at a rate of knots. Most didn't make it to the bay, they got smashed up into bigger things like bridge pylons and ferry terminals. It was sad to watch.
One houseboat even had a bloke on board trying to steer it, but no luck.
If the motor isn't strong enough to make headway against the current, then trying to keep fast enough travelling with the current to still have steering control would be a very scary ride. About all you could do is full power up stream and heading for a bank or some where the water wasn't flowing a fast. Not my idea of a fun way to fill in the day ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I reckon the poor bloke on that houseboat thought exactly the same thing when he collided with the barge that had the big crane on it. It was bedlam on the river for a few days.
Hope it doesn't get like that down at Mannum.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

They announced last night that they were doing a door knock around Walker Flat telling people to prepare to evacuate ..... yet the BoM flood level is at moderate. The level has gone from moderate flooding to major flooding at Swan Reach over the last week, so a rise of 1.5 mtrs, they might be getting prepared for that sort of rise in Walker Flat. If that is the case, some where around Christmas day we will get the 1.5 mtr rise and that will be over the major flood level. The water has joined across the Purnong Road at Long Gully, so we are now cut off from Mannum via the river roads, so now it's a 10km trip over the hill and around to come down the hill to the workshop. I'm guessing, if we get that 1.5 mtrs, the water will be lapping at our driveway and our place being the highest spot on that road, all access will be via the back of the block and a scramble up the track that goes over the hill. Not a big deal at the moment, but 10 cars doing at least 2 trips a day for maybe 4 mths ........

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

… maybe you could jack up the house a metre or two? 🤔
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields