How many professors are there in Australia

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Peter

How many professors are there in Australia

Post by Peter »

I often wonder how many professors there are in Australia. On the Tv news and current affairs there are often professors mentioned for various reasons. We seem to have an abundance of them I have tried to get some sort of numbers on them however no numbers seem to be forthcoming.

You might wonder why I ask this question back when I was a kid in about 1952 we had Dutch neighbours ( we are still family friends ) Their dad often mentioned that he had to get his family out of Holland as the quality of life had deteriorated and he could see no future for them there.. One of his favourite sayings was : "You have to be a professor to lick a postage stamp "

I think Australia has out done Holland in that I think you have to be a professor to have a postage stamp let alone lick it..
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: How many professors are there in Australia

Post by BruceS »

Peter I must agree with you although it goes much further than that.
Back a little bit before my time at school it was quite normal for about 90-95% of students to leave school after year 7 (in SA ). That was Primary school & then any who went on went to high school.
I still remember my father asking who would empty the garbage cans, shear the sheep & other 'lowly' jobs.
Now days we have a whole lot of "graduates" that simply refuse to do any manual jobs at all.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

BruceS wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:41 pm Peter I must agree with you although it goes much further than that.
Back a little bit before my time at school it was quite normal for about 90-95% of students to leave school after year 7 (in SA ). That was Primary school & then any who went on went to high school.
I still remember my father asking who would empty the garbage cans, shear the sheep & other 'lowly' jobs.
Now days we have a whole lot of "graduates" that simply refuse to do any manual jobs at all.
That is why the plumber who did some work for me in WA recently charged $170.00 per hour.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I remember getting the school certificate meant you had passed 4 th yr (yr 10 now days) final exam ....... then the politics got involved and a school certificate meant you finished the 10 yr of schooling, you were then expected to go on to yr 11 and 12 and get a higher school certificate and that was the minimum required education level to get an apprenticeship ..... poor passing grades meant you had no chance of going on to uni and virtually no chance of an apprenticeship ....... but you did qualify to ask "do you want fries with that?"
When I was hiring the second round of apprentices, I asked the TAFE why they expected such a high qualification for enrolling in TAFE to become a mechanic ....... They sent me an end of first yr exam paper and part of it had a quadratic equation that required expression as a graph ....... I sure don't remember doing those in high school.

I did run into them when I was doing the electrical and computing technology course at TAFE and they told me this part of the maths classes were just a refresher for all we learnt in high school in yr 12 .......

Here is an example
Graphical-Representation-of-Quadratic-Equation1.png
T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Looks like an ellipse or the bottom half of a sine wave. Glad I never had to do year 12 maths. :roll:

What's it for? Working out the pitch angle of ???
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Glad I only went to year nine [old 3rd year] and out.

PeterH
PeterH
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I was in the work force @14.
I found school got in the way of me learning stuff.
Teacher's probably thought the same 😁.
Bernie.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

School
I HATED the Place with all my youthful passion.
There were several bullying teachers where I went to primary ( State) who just loved to belittle any kid that didn't crawl to them, and I didn't crawl!
Then, in Tech School, lo and behold there they were again, or possibly clones of the first lot, they just sounded the same and used the same methods.
The main purpose I learned from that was to keep well away from the bullying type.
Nowadays I just ignore them and call it for what it is < insecurities in Their nature.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I was also working at the age of 14. Got booted out of high school. Waste of time and effort. So yrs later I did my nursing in Victoria (hospital training) I got 2nd in the state final exams and also a distinction award. My sister also was in the same year as me and she also got 4th in the state exams and also a distinction. Not too shabby for no schooling hey? We were both married , she had 4 sprogs and a DV basher drunk and I had 1 sprog with a wonderful husband. The school taught nurses have nothing on the hands on nurses.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:34 pm I was also working at the age of 14. Got booted out of high school. Waste of time and effort. So yrs later I did my nursing in Victoria (hospital training) I got 2nd in the state final exams and also a distinction award. My sister also was in the same year as me and she also got 4th in the state exams and also a distinction. Not too shabby for no schooling hey? We were both married , she had 4 sprogs and a DV basher drunk and I had 1 sprog with a wonderful husband. The school taught nurses have nothing on the hands on nurses.
What was so distinct about you and your sister and why was yours more distinct than hers? :D ..... Photos or it isn't true ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO