Interesting update

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Interesting update

Post by Greynomad »

Yesterday we bought Camps Australia Wide 12.
It replaces CAW5 which we bought in 2009.
8C585E83-DE2D-4B18-B972-F9D0D25621FF.jpeg
The authors have changed. No5 was authored by Cathryn & Philip Fennell; No12 by Heatly & Michelle Gilmore.
Business address has changed, but web address & email remain the same.
Obviously a new set of eyes has prompted significant changes to the book.
The fold-out key map inside the front cover is welcome, as is the symbols key fold-out on the back cover.
I have heard complaints that CPs have been dropped. Commercial ones have, but community-run CPs remain.
I also appreciate the distinction between dog-friendly sites and the other sort.
However, the subtle difference between the blue site markers and the blue surround indicating presence of a dump point eludes me.
What do the rest of you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Swisslulu

Re: Interesting update

Post by Swisslulu »

We haven’t used CAW since version 6. WikiCamps app plus Country Pub Camping and Showground and Rec Grounds Fb groups/websites have been our go to for years.

CAW is out of date before it rolls off the press.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Lesley,
I find that when planning a trip it’s easier to open a paper map or book atlas than scrolling around on my laptop or phone.
Seeing where the campsites are in relation to highways and towns is easier (for me, at least) when the whole region is in view.
I can also step out the approximate distance we want to travel to see what’s available near where we’d like to call it a day.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Ray, I know that it's still needing a computer or phone, but the showgrounds, sport and rec grounds camping site through f**kbook give state maps and is very easy to navigate. But you stick to your old technology, you will be happier with that old ,out of date before it was printed, map. ;)
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Just call me “The Dinosaur” 🦖
😀
Love my ‘pooter & phone for most things, but “It was good enough for Captain Cook…” 😜🤣

I’m also trying to avoid joining the ‘Fb Generation’… although that’s getting harder as virtually every man & his dog has a page on it. (Literally! I’ve seen pages “written” by dogs!)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Swisslulu wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:28 pm We haven’t used CAW since version 6. WikiCamps app plus Country Pub Camping and Showground and Rec Grounds Fb groups/websites have been our go to for years.

CAW is out of date before it rolls off the press.
Agreed, we found CAW to be useless because sites that were previously populated by a small number were suddenly over populated resulting in the site being closed completely.
Wikicamps app is easy for Margaret to check what sites are coming up at about the time we feel we need to stop for the night. We can drive through a few possibilities because there are just too many already there, till we find one that suits our type of overnight camping.
No point in getting in early to reserve a spot if a whole heap of other travellers set up camp there as the day goes on till it becomes so crowded you don't want to be there anymore.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

We just stop where ever we like, mostly gravel pits. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.