One for the Kombi fans.

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
supersparky

One for the Kombi fans.

Post by supersparky »

Here's one for the Kombi fans. Brand new all steel T1 Kombi replica. A bit exxy but potentially awesome. And maybe an EV version too.
I hope the link works, cos it does for me. :D

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/forget-vol ... s-instead/
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: One for the Kombi fans.

Post by T1 Terry »

Sadly it is LHD and the problem with no body number from the factory with the matching ID plate and no chassis number so it can never be registered in Australia. If you tried to register it as a new built vehicle, it wouldn't meet the Aust design rules about crumple zones, collapsible steering column, self tensioning seat belts, just to name a few.
If you actually had a 25 window kombi that was rusted out, you would have the ID plate and the chassis number, but I doubt you'd go this route as it would loose so much value ..... but it would look kool.
To actually buy all the windows and rubbers along with this new body, get it changed to RHD, painted and prepared for all the wiring harness, headlining, interior trim and seats, you would already be well over the $100,000 mark AUD, and you still need suspension, transmission and either everything required for a petrol motor or another $60,000 to 100,000 to buy and fit all the EV conversion gear ....... no shortcut to building a 25 window kombi that would sell for $300,000 plus, but you could still build a very classy ride if you wanted a keeper ...... Eventually it would be worth the hard work and $$ if you did do a ground up EV build because there just wouldn't be anything like it available .... but after all that hard work, would you really sell it?

What do you reckon my chances are of getting Margaret to agree to letting me buy one ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I reckon you'd be on a winner there Terry. Of course Marg will say yes. :roll:
There must be a way to bring them in and get rego etc, otherwise the hotrod guys wouldn't be importing brand new steel bodied Fords and Chevs.
I reckon a full electric camper or m/home would be a pretty cool deal. Particularly if you could make the solar panels appear to be part of the body work. My head hasn't quite got around that design feature yet.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:25 pm I reckon you'd be on a winner there Terry. Of course Marg will say yes. :roll:
There must be a way to bring them in and get rego etc, otherwise the hotrod guys wouldn't be importing brand new steel bodied Fords and Chevs.
I reckon a full electric camper or m/home would be a pretty cool deal. Particularly if you could make the solar panels appear to be part of the body work. My head hasn't quite got around that design feature yet.
It will certainly push up the prices for rusted out split window kombi chook sheds :lol:
I'll mention that you endorsed the idea when presenting it to Margaret for her appraisal, I'm sure that will influence her final decision 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:37 pm
I'll mention that you endorsed the idea when presenting it to Margaret for her appraisal, I'm sure that will influence her final decision 8-)

T1 Terry
Do ya reckon? :lol: :lol: :roll:
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Is there an advertising avenue here ? "T1 Kombi powered by T1 Lithium"
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Good one Eddy. :D I'm surprised T1 didn't see that already. Maybe that could be the pitch to Margaret. :roll:
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

..... where do you think he got the original T1 from. (Malaney was just the catalyst.) sheesh. :roll: :lol:
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:14 pm ..... where do you think he got the original T1 from. (Malaney was just the catalyst.) sheesh. :roll: :lol:
Not bad Jon, but my Kombi is a late bay so a T2 not a T1 ...... but that T1 EV Kombi built by T1 Lithium does sound good ...... well to me it sounds good, not sure it will sound as good to Margaret :lol: Upping the cash outlay and job build time and all the office work on top would not really be her idea of easing her way into retirement ;) :twisted:
But how cool would it be to build one a yr 8-)

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:57 pm Good one Eddy. :D I'm surprised T1 didn't see that already. Maybe that could be the pitch to Margaret. :roll:
Margaret is wondering when you are arriving to partner up on this new enterprise? With your endorsement and sparkie ticket, we would be on a winner :lol: We could even branch out and convert vehicles for customers, there is no one in SA doing it and the good ones interstate have a 2 yr backlog ........ should I put a few steaks in the fridge ready for your arrival? ;) 8-)

T1 Terry