Bernie's u-bolt saga.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
BernieQ2

Bernie's u-bolt saga.

Post by BernieQ2 »

Me again, just thought I would move the spring problem off the good morning thread.
Back good enough to do some fiddling :D no not that fiddling :D :D
We, me and next door, have been jacking and un jacking the spring and the u-bolts.
So far with little result. a cuppla pics.
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
In the first pic, we are jacking the spring up till it hits the bump stop,
Second, I found a piece of steel thick enough to not bend, under the u-bolts
There does look like there is some slight movement on the front bolts.
Might be me hoping :?
At the moment we have two jacks under the front bolts and the one jack with the steel bar under the rear bolts, plus old mate next door said to soak them with acetone, which is happening now...next we will try vinegar , all out of tomato sauce Jon :lol:
Bernie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Bernie's u-bolt saga.

Post by T1 Terry »

Diesel and brake fluid .... not mixed ..... are also fluids I've heard about working good as a penetrating fluid. I've had the most success with Penetrene, Wurth penetrating oil and something Brian scored from the steam train mob ..... but I can't find a can of it now to check the name, but I think it was called liquid wrench ....
Check out a you tube video about home made penetrating oil and various brand names
Penetrene works best if it can be soaked in the solution, so maybe wrapping rag over the upper part of the U bolt and then soaking the rag with Penetrene and leave over night.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I haven't heard of Penetrene since I was a unruly kid Terry :D
I'm going to try and get a small jack between the chassis and the spring and jack down, there's not a lot of clearance between the two, I really need a porta power of something much like one :?: :?:
Bernie.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Porta powers are extremely cheap on ebay.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Can’t you cut thru the U bolt?
Shirley & Bruce.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

No Shirley not enough room to swing a cat.
Thanks, the book says to use oxy... but the book doesn't have the air bag suspension that I have. The oxy would be frought with danger.
But it may come down to that... thanks.
Bernie.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

A good hit on the casting usually does enough to vibrate it enough to loosen it.
It will need a good SOLID HIT with a big hammer !
Barring that a cut-down chisel driven under the spring, or the top of the U bolt, has worked for me in similar situations .
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Barring that a cut-down chisel driven under the spring, or the top of the U bolt, has worked for me in similar situations
good idea. Driving a wedge between the spring and u-bolt might just push it up.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks you two... :D
We have tried all of the above to no avail :evil: :evil:
I have decided to cut the U bolts across the top, has to be on a angle because it's the only way to get in to then. I have a reciprocating saw battery driven...but no steel blades only wood :evil: So me being me I tried the saw...it works but I'm running out of blades, I got about 3/4 through the first of the U bolts, but have come to a standstill till I get new blades
Closest is Maryborough...so it can wait till next Thursday when we are going shopping.
I may if it's not to wet use my angle grinder to finish the first one...if it will fit between everything that's there.
To be continued :D
Bernie.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

We can see daylight :D
The U bolts have been cut away, only the sway bar joint holding the spring in..i bloody hope.
Nothing easy about this whole episode I guess they didn't want stuff removed :evil:
So hopefully the spring will be out today.
Now getting the U bolt shanks out is another subject I'm not looking forward to.
Bernie.