The new project list

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

The new project list

Post by T1 Terry »

The workshop fire deleted probably 2/3rds of the project list, so finances have dictated the priorities on the new revised list.

First project, getting the house off grid.

Fortunately we had the battery cells at home, old stock of a size we no longer used much and Trev no longer carries, 130Ah cells.
Decided to build a 48v system, mainly because we can reduce the number of solar regulators required .... to be explained later .....
First job was to locate a spot in my new workshop, the ex garden shed, remove the old rotted chip board because it wouldn't hold the weight, add a timber bearer to hang the inverter from the required distance from the roof, then visit scrap timber trailer located in the cabinet makers next door to the workshop remains, and select suitable replacement wall cladding. Two kitchen cupboard doors that must have been the incorrect size were selected and transported home in the mighty Prius.
Cutting them to fit was an interesting exercise, the batteries for the Ego chainsaw were in the workshop along with every other saw I possessed, both battery powered and 240v powered, the only remaining saw was an Aldi 36v chainsaw that worked when it felt like it. After a number of attempts recharging the battery and banging the thing on the ground to make it go, actual maintenance was required.
Pulled it apart, fixed the cooked brush spring and the faulty wire connection and it returned to a serviceable condition.
Cutting a precise line using a chainsaw while using the toilet pump cover as a bench, is a skill I still need to master it seems, but the 9" grinder and the new Aldi disc and belt sander seemed to do the trick to get the oversized bits down to size.
Next required light in the shed, an Aldi movement sensor solar LED shed light worked fine for locating stuff in the shed, but not quite enough to be suitable as a work light.
Digging through the future projects plastic bins turned up a movement sensor double spot light holder, still in its box, and a length of flex cord with a plug attached that was probably from a failed pump or something .... quickly assembled and two cool white LED bulbs and sufficient light was achieved.
Found some roofing screws that were long enough to hold the resized cupboard doors on the wall, fitted up the hanger bracket for the inverter, then realised I couldn't actually lift the inverter up high enough to hang it up where it needed to go ..... tried a squat scissor jack but that bwasn't stable enough, so back to the workshop to search through the the ashes to find something suitable.
Found the motorbike lifting platform, with the screw scissor lift action, brought it home and made replacement nylon bushes/rollers out of fittings and pipe I had from various attempts at getting water pumps to deliver water from the river up the top tank and the front lawn. Pulled it apart and sort of painted the bits (more runs than Bradman) reassembled and have now actually achieved the inverter mounting :D
Inverter in place.jpg
Can't seems to figure out how to post a photo at the moment, but it sort of shows how agricultural the whole process turned out cause I no longer have all the handy equipment now ..... but it's getting there, even though it has taken 2 weeks to get to that point :lol:

T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Re: The new project list

Post by jon_d »

good job Terry.

Question: How do you attached the wires when the bricks are holding up the Victron?
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

The answer is simple Jon. The Victron is holding up the bricks. Just turn your phone around. :lol: :lol: .not. :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

So good to see you back in harness Terry! Can’t keep a good man (or woman) down. More power to you both.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Nice to see you back doing thing again must have been heartbreaking 💔 to go back through the rubble
Hope you get things going soon
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

My project list is to rip all the lithium out an start with something different as we have sold the bus twice and both fell through 💔💔💔
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:30 pm My project list is to rip all the lithium out an start with something different as we have sold the bus twice and both fell through 💔💔💔
Sell it to Terry with the lith in. Why did the prev sales fall through Wayne? :?:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:30 pm My project list is to rip all the lithium out an start with something different as we have sold the bus twice and both fell through 💔💔💔
That's disheartening Wayne.
Bernie
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Had some one by the name of Ross asking about the batteries etc but about 10 txt messages later he said you had sold it to someone else .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:46 pm good job Terry.

Question: How do you attached the wires when the bricks are holding up the Victron?

you can see in the photo that the bricks have three big holes in them so I can run the cables through there ..... bricks aren't conductive, so will I need to run the cable through conduit?

T1 Terry