Price of fuel?

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!

Has the price of fuel slowed down your travels?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:34 pm

Are you petrol?
10%
Are you diesel?
50%
Have you cancelled your travel / trip?
5%
Nothing will stop me!
35%

Total votes: 20

BruceS
Site Admin

Price of fuel?

Post by BruceS »

Recently I've seriously been considering doing some travelling.
I did a little looking around at suitable vehicles / caravans / etc & have found a few that look good.
Next I did a bit of research into fuel consumption, fuel costs & caravan parks & costs etc.
I was aghast at fuel prices around Australia & how it really must be effecting 'the ordinary folk' amongst us.
Some little time ago I did travel a bit & at that time I found the cheapest fuel at Biloela. I suspect being inland from Gladstone which is a deep sea port where a tanker maybe unloading had a bit to do with it?
Anyway I'm after a few comments regarding your thoughts & if it has effected you & your travels?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Re: Price of fuel?

Post by supersparky »

Bruce, we were in Broome recently. The diesel there was 244.9 c/litre. I thought was a bit rich. But Bernie tells me that is the usual price for diesel up Biggenden way.
I filled up yesterday at Warwick Qld, and for the first time ever, had to pay over $300 for a tank full, about 150 litres.
I doubt that the price of fuel will ever stop us from travelling, but it will sure give us something to whinge about around a campfire.
It wasn't all that long ago when diesel was $1.39 /litre just about anywhere, and petrol would madly fluctuate, as it does still. But I blame Mr Putins war in Ukraine for the elevated world fuel prices. I do look forward to the day when all our RV'sare solar powered, and we can flit about wherever and whenever we choose.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Not in your lifetime Dave.

I remember when diesel was 1/3 the price of petrol, a long time ago but just shows how times change.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I remember when working at the Golden Fleece in Figtree (near Wollongong central) and the price of petrol jumping to 68c/gal and everyone was up in arms about it. Diesel was a few cents a gal cheaper, we were the only 24/7 service stn out side Syd and the gateway to the NSW south coast, so every long distance truck fuelled up there ...... I worked the night shifts on my own but Friday nights I had an assistant. Even back then, we would transfer around $1,000 an hr from the till to the safe on long weekends ..... that's a lot of fuel .....

When the change from gal to ltrs came in, it was the point the fuel companies broke the 99c gal limit that seemed to be the invisible barrier where the general motorist would draw the line .... a few company sites tried to go to $1 gal and the sales virtually stopped at those sites.
When they switched to ltrs, the price was 22.5c/ltr and no one complained, it looked cheaper, but it was actually $1.0215/gal and away it went from there.

It just cost me $80 to fill the taxi Prius a few days back, it has gone up 3c/ltr since then ..... A full tank of fuel could double the value of some cars these days :lol:

I transferred the new traction battery to the Silver Prius and we did our first Adelaide trip to pick up the two battery cells from the freight mob Trev sent down last week ... we had to wait for a vehicle that was fuel efficient enough to tackle the trip, the piggy bank is nearly empty. Thankfully, the Silver Prius performed well and returned 5ltr/100km, around $22 in fuel for the round trip ... we would have needed to call Wallet Wizard while we were in Adelaide to get enough fuel to get home if we'd driven the Ford :shock:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

In answer to Bruce's question, I'll need to at least add LPG to the Mazda before we could travel any reasonable distance, but eventually, the next motorhome will be either a hybrid or full electric and just free camp until the battery recharges .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

We are heading to Theresa Creek Dam when the voting is over.(not Bruce's one) :D
I think Carol has done a costing on fuel...around $500 or so may be less.
Will know more after the trip.
The trip was to catch up with Dingo Jim and Vernessa but ill health and a opp next month have ruled out the reunion. We are still going tho.
And will be fueling at Bilo Bruce up and back, X son law now lives there.
Bernie.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

Don’t forget Freedom fuel in Qld has 13c litre off at present (if a CMCA member and a Freedom fuel member) RACQ 5c/litre a nd in NSW NRMA is 5c/litre at most AMPOL stations.

PeterH
PeterH
Busman

Post by Busman »

Unleaded seems all over the place, up to $2.38 in Brisbane, $1.99 at the same time in Warwick on Tuesday ? But differeing prices in Warwick as well.
Last edited by Busman on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Many years ago, like 40 we would buy 50 litre drums of diesel, have them delivered, I had a diesel LR lwb diesel cost about 20 cents a litre 🤣🤣🤣

Local servos $223.9 & $225.9 today a litre.
Shirley & Bruce.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mt Barker (SA) petrol $2.24 lit Diesel $2.25lit.
Bruce forget the cost, just do what ever as they say you can't take it with you may as well enjoy your self.
Nothing will be stopping us heading off next winter for sure.
We try to put some fuel in the bus when the price is good, doesn't give such a shock when the departure day arrives.
Currently doing that for a maybe trip to Melb for Xmas after 7 years.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.