Search engines powered by A I, can they be worked around?

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Search engines powered by A I, can they be worked around?

Post by T1 Terry »

This came up at the end of an article I was reading regarding the fight between manufacturers and the rest of the world regarding locking down the vehicle's computer so only they can access fault codes and actual sensor outputs that are required to make a skilled diagnosis of what the actual fault is, not just the guestimation the onboard computer suggested, or what the manufacturer wanted to cover up.

Soon, when you type a question into a search engine, the first result may be an AI-generated answer sourced from the open web. There is every chance the answers presented by the algorithms that shape our contemporary reality will be based on disinformation and misinformation.

So many people are getting dragged down the "conspiracy" rabbit hole the interweb A I is happy to lead the unsuspecting, will it reach the point where you can't trust the answer to the question you asked?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Search engines powered by A I, can they be worked around?

Post by BruceS »

It's been some years since I believed any answers I've got to my questions Terry.
As far as 'locking down computers' ...... John Deere & Case tried that in USA so farmers & back yard mechanic services couldn't diagnose & fix simple fault codes thrown by onboard computers.
I believe there was quite a revolt. Not sure of the outcome. Think I heard about a big Federal court case.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/02/16/ ... 0or%20ECUs.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It's not just vehicle manufacturers that have been locking down code, so nobody could access the computer to fault find. PLC manufacturers, suppliers and OEM'S have been doing that for decades. And getting away with it, because it is their 'intellectual property '.
I think John Deere lost, not sure about Case.
I would respectfully suggest that nobody believe anything they read on the internet or even a newspaper these days, without fact checking it. So much of the information that we are being peddled is just dribble. Spin doctors are everywhere.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I just wrote a long reply and the
You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3
got me and wiped it out ...... I wonder if the conspiracy theorists want to run with that, "A I blocking the truth being posted on the web" ;) :roll: :twisted:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Nah, its not AI doing that. That message has been popping up for a week or so. It stops you from even getting to the login page so it can't be what you might post. I reckon it might stop a lot of members just popping in and having a lurk. Bruce was trying to follow it up.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I have not experienced that problem for a week or more.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

It's started again this time on the phone...that's a first.
Bernie.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It's only ever done it to me on the phone, never on the 'puter. Well not yet anyway.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I'll have to save a copy of future posts to "WORD" so they don't vanish in future.

T1 Terry
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

I had it again yesterday and
I only use Ipad. Just left it for awhile and came back on.