Search engines powered by A I, can they be worked around?

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Keith Morris

Re: Search engines powered by A I, can they be worked around?

Post by Keith Morris »

T1 Terry wrote: time=1700001548 user_id=58]
I just wrote a long reply and the
You are running an unsupported PHP version. Please upgrade to PHP 7.1.3 or higher before trying to install or update to phpBB 3.3
got me and wiped it out ...... I wonder if the conspiracy theorists want to run with that, "A I blocking the truth being posted on the web" ;) :roll: :twisted:
[/color]
T1 Terry
T-1 Terry, "tanks" here.
I had that message on my laptop several times when I wanted to sign-in to the Forum.
I'm in the field of not knowing very much about computers --other than eBay and the Forum----so I ignored the message and I tried to gain entry later in the day. I abandoned this after several unproductive attempts and went to bed.
I had no difficulty logging in today. The wonders of modern day I.T.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Public perception is the driver these days, common sense was never common, but these days thinking seems to be heading in the same direction ... maybe it's the devices they injected with the Covid vaccine that is eating people's logic circuits ..... but I'm a firm believer that the lack of teaching basic critical thinking techniques is to blame, relying on the computer search engine to do the thinking for people.
The fact that A I simply looks at what question you asked ... and have asked in the past, to search for things the next step down the rabbit hole ....

Maybe it's time for search engines to be forced to adapt their A I to detect people falling down the rabbit hole and redirect them back out and even suggest help agencies for these people to get back on track to think for themselves .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

T1 Terry wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:31 pm Maybe it's time for search engines to be forced to adapt their A I to detect people falling down the rabbit hole and redirect them back out and even suggest help agencies for these people to get back on track to think for themselves .....

T1 Terry
Wouldn't all computer problems internet searches and AI results revolve around the system your using and the type of search engine you consult. On my systems have deleted google and all other search engines other than duck duck go and use firefox and tor as my browsers. Duck duck go does use AI, but only to improve results for the searcher and not to revenue raise as proprietary companies do and it's a safe search engine.

Agree with most comments regarding AI, again it would depend on the services you use as to whether you're being led up the garden path most times, or getting relevant answers to your questions. Apple, google and microsoft do use AI in their browsers and search engines to move people to results that suit the provider and not the user, how rampant that is have no idea. Yandex is the same and when you consider the number of searches requested in a minute would be in the millions, it's only AI than can handle that traffic.

Microsoft and google use NLP (natural language processing) which is designed to learn and understand human languages, so they can direct queries to their preferred results. Yandex takes all of their users' previous searches and use them to optimize future searches, as does microsoft apple and google. That way they can direct you to whatever result they want and optimise it to benefit their vested interests.

That's why proprietary users seem to be directed to answers and sites which are supported by the search engine and company involved. As all my systems are open source, never seem to have problems of any kind and if one does crop up, can find a fix or work around within minutes. Also have all software and systems in containers, courtesy of flatpack, including firefox which gives another level of security and safety from any attacks.

An AI app exposes your information to online trackers, spammers and hackers, but using containers and open source systems stops that and allows you to mask everything about you from the search engine and anyone else. When all this was pointed out to me did a couple of comparison searches using google, Bing, yahoo and a couple of others including spandex, then duck. The results from the different sources were easy to see and it was the duck that gave the best results, with the others had to search through pages to get to the best and most relevant ones. But duck just presented the most relevant within the first couple of results.