New toys

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: New toys

Post by T1 Terry »

Yeah, impatience is my biggest fault, but critical welds always get a few practise runs before I do the actual job ... filling holes always shows up when they x ray the weld :lol: welding in a straight line is my next biggest issue ... had some welding crayon that lit up when the arc from the welder hit it ... now I have a better helmet, I might be able to see it :lol:

After I finished setting up the welder, I climbed up on the bus roof and immediately saw the first problem, how was I going to get the welder up high enough, the hose is a generous 3.5mtrs long, but the bus is 3.3mtrs high, I'll need to get the truck going so I can winch the welder onto the truck :roll: Hopefully, I don't find any holes in the roof that require welding .... the added roof patch where they stretched the body, looks like they used a pigeon to apply the metal droppings

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

did they get the engineer to ok the stretch (inspect it) ours did.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:29 pm did they get the engineer to ok the stretch (inspect it) ours did.
Yes, everything is engineer approved, had to be to get rego in NSW 8-)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Hi T1,

Obviously I'm coming to this conversation late (I have an excuse!).

In my pre-retirement days I had a job where my main task was rewriting Chinglish and German/English manuals in words of one syllable that purchasers of (generally) heavy equipment could understand.
I also had the distinction of translating programmers' instructions into 'proper' English for the Gov't department I worked for when they introduced a brand-new technology called "The Internet".

So I know your pain. Sometimes I had to get in front of a terminal and just take a stab at what the programmers meant, making my own notes as I went.

As far as welding goes, I asked a bloke at our Men's Shed if he could weld a garden arch for me, as it was for a slope and one leg had to be longer.
He said "No, but I'll teach you to weld and you can do it yourself!"
The arch is still standing and weighed down with a massive climbing rose, so I must have been a good student. My welds are not pretty, but they hold. :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields