New toys

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: New toys

Post by T1 Terry »

Nice looking rig, will the chair be for the extended range battery pack? Lot of room in there for an electric motor, controller and a few hundred kms of battery ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Welder tolley mods as of yesterday afternoon
Welder tolley mods.jpg
Welder tolley mods 2.jpg
Welder tolley mods 3.jpg
Welder tolley mods 4.jpg
Todays project, attempt to assemble the welder, figure out how it works, then attempt to weld up the modifications .... I have a feeling just getting the welder out of the box might be a step too far :roll:

T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Had one look at the book, then decided to check for a you tube tutorial .......https://www.google.com/search?q=assembl ... 0sR4g,st:0

I think I need a lie-down after watching that :shock:

T1 Terry
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

This ones in great condition Bernie, paint work pristine, just the battery and rego. Luckily in Tas there's not a big market for big bikes and he was asking a lot more, but waited hoping it wouldn't sell and after a month went and offered him cash and he took it.

Had seriously thought about an electric chair :shock: :o Terry, think a racing outfit would be better as they are lighter and more aerodynamic. If I win big in lotto one day may make a 3D printed shell, know of an old outfit frame for sale down here and electrify it. The torque this bike has is pretty cool, nearly threw me off the back when rapped it on yesterday before the rain came and only have to fix the front tyre and arrival of the battery and rego it, nothing else to do according to the rego mechanic stopped to see on the way home with it. :)
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Update on the welder trolley mods:
Welder tolley mods.jpg
Welder tolley mods 2.jpg
Welder tolley mods 3.jpg
Welder tolley mods 4.jpg
Welder trolley mods completed.jpg
Welder trolley mods completed 2.jpg

The mig torch said it was smart technology, the welder said it had a feature that auto set the welding parameters ..... still laid down crap welds :roll: so quickly these skills are lost as you age .....
The high tech Unimig "Samuri" welding helmet is great, clear vision and natural colour, not that green blurry image the cheaper helmets have, https://www.totaltools.com.au/200644-un ... rai-u21019 but the price tag is a bit of an eye opener anyway :lol:

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Keep at it Terry!!!
You can only get better!!
weldingwoes.jpg
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

BruceS wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm Keep at it Terry!!!
weldingwoes.jpg
Who done that Bruce?
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

hehe .... stolen off the Internet!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:41 pm Keep at it Terry!!!
weldingwoes.jpg
:lol: Not quite that bad Bruce :lol: The welders idea of what the set up should be produced a hole that near needed a plate to patch, from there it was trial and error .... until I discovered you could dial up the plate thickness by 0.1mm thick, so that gave a better base to start from, the mig handle has 4 buttons where fine adjustments can be made ... and it got better from there :D

Starting the rust repairs in the new rig now I have the welder sort of set up, at least stop the water coming in from the roof and running down the inside of the body panels ...

T1 Terry
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

I gave up MIG welding steel with gas and use gasless wire, does just as good a job cheaper and I'm a crap welder. Still use gas for S/S and aluminium and get some good runs, my MIG is around 20 years old and has a feed problem that crops us every now and then. So probably getting close to time to get a modern MIG and a modern TIG as that's just as old, will do that after getting the bike done.

Made a ramp for the trailer to pick up the bike, the aluminium ramps I have wouldn't handle the 720kg weight. Because I'm a crap welder, made this one extremely strong and the bloke asked me if was picking up an excavator next, but it did the job and was able to ride the bike onto the trailer using the light aluminium ramps I made for my feet to balance the bike. But didn't need them the bike rolled up very easily.

Looks like you've got a really good welder Terry, being able to auto adjust to the metal thickness would make life much easier, my method is trial and error, normally blow out thin metal at first so always practise first before hitting the job.