What's new in the EV market for this year

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
supersparky

Re: What's new in the EV market for this year

Post by supersparky »

Great calculator Bruce. Thanks. But I don't know what voltage those guys are playing with. Is it 500, 630, 900 or ??? Maybe T1 will know.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:19 pm Great calculator Bruce. Thanks. But I don't know what voltage those guys are playing with. Is it 500, 630, 900 or ??? Maybe T1 will know.
If I get the maths right, 1,491 kW = 1,491,000W ÷ 4 motors = 372,750w, 372.75kW x 1.34 = roughly 500hp per wheel .... and that is how you lay 4 black lines that wide the length of the main straight ;) :lol: Max torque, being a 3 phase motor, is from zero RPM .. well, close enough to 0, so there is no way to compare that to any internal combustion engine, no matter what capacity, fuel or induction type .... that is why you will never see a Top Fuel Nito burning dragster line up beside an electric powered dragster, no need to slip the clutch pack to allow the engine/motor to develop the RPM required, simply program in the required torque to not break traction and keep adding torque as it runs down the strip ... and the time in the garage is for cooling the motor and swapping out the battery pack while the discharged one is recharged ....

Back to the battery make up in the Fords Transit 4.2.
This is purely hypothetical, based on what bits of info we are supplied.
1491 kW would require at least 1500kW to be supplied by the battery. The top of the line NMC (nickel manganese cobalt) and sodium ion cells can supply 30C continuous and around 100C instantaneous for around 5 secs. That is down to 15kW of cell capacity.
15 x 100 =1500Wh / ? volts = Ah
Sparkie Dave says the battery is 1431kwh, divide that by the min requirement of 15kW = roughly 95 ... think I need another coffee because I'm not sure if that is cell capacity or just watt it is :roll: Or have I stuffed up the requirements in the calculation?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:28 pm Can someone please expand the acronym WLTP?
WLTP is the new baseline testing used to calculate the manufacturers "claimed" performance from their battery pack
In Europe, all electric vehicles are tested against a standardised metric for range. The Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP) measures the range of a car travelling at an average speed of 46.5 km/h in summer temperatures from a 100% to 0% state of charge.
Just what temperature "summer European temperatures are isn't explained there, but I guess around winter temps here in Qld close to the coast :roll:

Just who is going to drive their car at 46.5km/h is another question to ask, the another is, which vehicle manufacturer will allow their battery to be drained to 0% SOC .... that one I can answer, none :twisted:

So, basically, it is a bit like lead acid claimed Ah capacity, a guide to be used to compare deep cycle lead acid batteries using the same C20 discharge rate for the test .... nonsense is another word that comes to mind ....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

So, 1491 A/hr or Kw or whatever it was, transposes to - its a fu....n honker mate. I've had access to a couple of 450 hp street cars over the years, kinda makes 'em sound like grocery getters. We are killing this planet of ours with pollution, so the sooner we can all, collectively, clean up the place the better, IMHO.

I always thought that WLTP meant, would like to please, or some other variation of that. My bad, :lol: :lol:
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Anyone else see the 900 tonnes of lithium batteries on fire in France? (on the news)
https://www.france24.com/en/france/2024 ... -batteries
BruceS
Mannum, SA

WarrenK

Post by WarrenK »

BruceS wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:00 am Anyone else see the 900 tonnes of lithium batteries on fire in France? (on the news)
https://www.france24.com/en/france/2024 ... -batteries
From the report on the TV last night, these batteries were from computers, tablets, mobile phones and EVs. I don't think it was widely reported.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:00 pm So, 1491 A/hr or Kw or whatever it was, transposes to - its a fu....n honker mate. I've had access to a couple of 450 hp street cars over the years, kinda makes 'em sound like grocery getters. We are killing this planet of ours with pollution, so the sooner we can all, collectively, clean up the place the better, IMHO.

I always thought that WLTP meant, would like to please, or some other variation of that. My bad, :lol: :lol:
The cells are only likely to be around 20Ah or less, just a lot of them, maybe 2 or more in parallel to share the load across multiple cells.
Can you imagine a Tesla model 2 with the same motors front and rear and all the excess weight stripped out, then driven round Bathurst in full race suspension mode and ludicrous power mode, over 2,000kW on the ground from stationary ..... Now keep in mind, you can buy and do the modifications today ..... it's not a one off speciality factory built vehicle, just an owner modified vehicle
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

You would hope that the builder has done some serious modification to the Transit suspension. Last one of them I drove was like driving a 3 storey block of flats. They still sound sh#t though. Bring back the big bangers.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:35 pm You would hope that the builder has done some serious modification to the Transit suspension. Last one of them I drove was like driving a 3 storey block of flats. They still sound sh#t though. Bring back the big bangers.
You reckon they need a sound track that is tied to the motor speed .... a top fueller would be my choice :lol:

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

T1 Terry wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:39 am
supersparky wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:35 pm You would hope that the builder has done some serious modification to the Transit suspension. Last one of them I drove was like driving a 3 storey block of flats. They still sound sh#t though. Bring back the big bangers.
You reckon they need a sound track that is tied to the motor speed .... a top fueller would be my choice :lol:

T1 Terry
Wouldn't be the same without the blue fire coming out the exhausts. :lol:
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine