What's new in the EV market for this year

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

What's new in the EV market for this year

Post by T1 Terry »

There will be a few new all electric vans joining the lineup, so maybe we will see the first EV campervans hit the market
https://thedriven.io/2023/09/14/ldv-joi ... an-market/
Another article about what we might see this yr, and what we might not, as far as electric vehicles produced by maybe not to show up on the Aust market
https://thedriven.io/2024/01/30/new-ev- ... -wont-see/

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Re: What's new in the EV market for this year

Post by T1 Terry »

EV's in France seem to be popular https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... -in-demand
So much for the claims they would prefer an "ICE" powered car .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I found this on Farcebook the other day. Thought I would wait for a chance to chuck a hand grenade into an EV post. :D
Screenshot_20240214_150201_Facebook.jpg
If you click on the pic, it enlarges and is clear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Busman

Post by Busman »

BOOM !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:02 pm I found this on Farcebook the other day. Thought I would wait for a chance to chuck a hand grenade into an EV post. :D

Screenshot_20240214_150201_Facebook.jpg

If you click on the pic, it enlarges and is clear.
:lol: But you have to look at it from the same viewpoint from the anti EV mob today.

How much for the fuel, it's not like they just dig it up out of ground. They have to drill for it, wreck good grazing land or off shore with the potential pollution problems. Then they have to ship it to somewhere that will build a refinery to make fuel for these new fangled vehicles ... then, where do you refill the tank, there aren't "fuel stations" everywhere like there are recharging stations ;)
Then, how do they get the fuel to these "fuel stations", use electric trucks to cart it ... how dangerous would it be travelling the roads with these potential fire bombs

Then, what about the pollution they pump out as they inefficiently burn that carbon based fuel, 30% efficiency at best, not the 98% efficiency of the EV.

How about the accident potential carrying around all that "fuel" to get the claimed 4 times the distance between refills, even the base model EV does 400km to a charge and takes 20 mins max to recharge, how much "fuel would be needed to go 1600km before a "refuel" .... and where would that huge "fuel tank" be mounted, it couldn't go under the floor like an EV battery, all that weight at one end of the vehicle and then the weight of this "Internal Combustion Engine" at the other end, it would handle and drive like a truck .... and how heavy would it be ...

Yeah, I don't think the idea would ever make it off the drawing board, and certainly not past the lab stage .... but maybe for novelty racing, but they would have to have their own class with special benefits, it's not like they could keep up with a Pikes Peak car, even the humble VW would thrash them https://newatlas.com/volkswagen-id-r-pi ... ord/55177/, distance races, it's not like these "ICE" powered vehicles can make new fuel to slow the car down like a formula E car ...... but it might be fun to watch these mega prices novelty vehicles race against each other ;) :lol:

T1 Terry
Busman

Post by Busman »

That is a pretty biased view T1
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:07 pm That is a pretty biased view T1
The first lines of the farce post:
Imagine we lived in a world where all cars were EV's, then along came an internal combustion engine
That is the view point from a world where EV's were the only choice, then along came an internal combustion powered vehicle that the world hadn't spent over 100yrs gearing up for .....
How is that bias yet the fanciful view the Farcebook post puts forward that they would weigh less, travel 4 times as far, refuel in 1/10th the time, doesn't rely on non renewable elements to power it ... need I go on and quote the whole thing :roll:

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Can someone please expand the acronym WLTP?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Of course, I can present a balanced view. Here's one from the EV side of things.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/bathurst- ... rom-a-van/

A question for T1, or anyone that might know....how many A/hrs is a 1431 kW battery. Obviously some sort of lithium,
But how much does that weigh.
Another T1 question, how many turbo Barra motors is that, thinking what was around from back in the day when T1 was a turbo ICE engine tuner?

Edit, I'm pretty happy that an EV can get going around the mountain, except if it has F.O.R.D. on it anywhere.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

BruceS
Mannum, SA