My Bus

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Kelvin12

My Bus

Post by Kelvin12 »

Another Dot request.

This is my build, '87 Austral Tourmaster. My pride and joy, Marys nightmare..... Been doing a full frame rebuild now for 3-1/2 years, not full time more like semi full time or can't be bothered sort of thing. Bought the bus almost purely because of the pantograph opening doors, seemed like a good idea at the time. Rust was really crook and that was obvious from the start. Motor wasn't running but that was pretty suspect anyhow with more oil leaks than the Exon Valdez and a change in transmission from the Spicer crash box to an auto was uppermost on my wish list. Mary reckons all we bought was a chassis, suspension and some old wheels with balding tyres. Hmmm I did say it was MY dream. Tow home from Queensland to the Mid North Coast sees the old girl arrive. Actually looked better every time I saw her, the bus that is. Several days wandering around it admiring it and trying to justify why I bought the thing in the first place we make a start. This was originally going to be a quick $30K tart up, max. no worries, and hit the road. Then the ideas and the internet checking other bus conversions starts. That looks like a damn good idea, that's exactly what we need, that's a brilliant idea, we need to do it like that. All my ideas at this stage of the game of course and then things get right out of hand.

No good trying to patch this rust up, so its chop the frame down to the floor and bin level and then some, then some more and more. Finally it looks like a low loader. Lots of explaining going on in the background let me tell you. The budget is looking very sick, so its in for a penny in for a pound. Full re-frame woe to go, roof raise, fibreglass cladding, slide outs either side, the list just kept on growing and still is but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Been a slog at times but generally both of us have loved the exercise, bit one sided but rewarding. Would I do it again. Christ no......

Dirk and the long suffering Mary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelvin12

Re: My Bus

Post by Kelvin12 »

Arrival day. Busting to get into the job....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Start of re-frame. Really enjoying it.....
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Framing coming along.
Progress 002 (Medium).jpg
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Hmmm got this one out of order.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Slide out framing. Wasted a good month copying an American design. Complete waste of time and money, finally after a few sleepless nights I came up with this idea. Worked first time, so well in fact it ran over my foot. Really happy with the result and they have worked faultlessly for ages. Some of the best ideas happen in the middle of the night, keep a note pad handy so you don't forget.....
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Slide out extended. One of the best options I think we have added. The floor space just blows out giving you near 2.4m of floor space again. This slide incorporates a three seater lounge. The other slide on the left is a one sided dinette. Opted for this as when this slide is retracted access to the back of the bus is restricted. Fixed seating is built in on one side with a fold up chair for the other. The table top will swing up when needed.
Dot

Post by Dot »

And about bloody well time Dirk.. :roll: :roll: What a ripper hey what? :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Had to pretty well make up all new lower side panels. I bought 0.9 mm zinc anneal sheets, 2.4X1.2) and cut them out with a jig saw, slow noisy work, and had the folded by a local sheet metal company. Buying and cutting the sheets up yourself was way, way cheaper than having a sheet metal supplier doing the whole job.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Jumped ahead here, there was a good break in the weather so decided it was time to do the stripes. Lower panels are to be done when the humidity finally goes. Love painting, well this sort of painting that is.