LPG instalations

Post here if you have some suggestions on improving the forum.
Kelvin12

LPG instalations

Post by Kelvin12 »

G'Day Admin,

LPG rules and regulations are a mine field with little information available due to the stupid secret mens business that surrounds it. Perhaps a dedicated forum just to deal with LPG would be of assistance. Not a DIY section as this stuff is bloody dangerous but a section so as a builder or whatever would have some knowledge of what is actually required just to make sure that the gas installer knows what he is doing and that the installation is done right. I have been sussing this out for some time now and the total lack of knowledge just what is required by so called licensed installers and the legislation itself is staggering and bloody dangerous.

Dirk
Dot

Re: LPG instalations

Post by Dot »

Do not panic Dirk any and all info pertaining to "experts" and their current and up to date qualifications will be monitored and dealt with as soon as things start go belly up etc.. :D :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

G'Day Dot,

You have no idea what a clog mire this LPG crap is. Ask any installer and you will get a different answer to the same question which really helps. To make things murkier NSW and Vict. didn't adopt the last LPG regs. the 2004 version as they were to ambiguous.

Dirk
oldtrack123

Post by oldtrack123 »

Dot wrote:Do not panic Dirk any and all info pertaining to "experts" and their current and up to date qualifications will be monitored and dealt with as soon as things start go belly up etc.. :D :D
Hi Dot
Sorry , BUT, current or up to date quals really do not mean much :roll:

, In fact experience has shown matters are getting worse with such currently licensed & up to date qualified persons :(

I think that is where Kevin is having his problems[with currently licensed persons] :shock:

It will always be necessary to "sort the wheat from chaff"
Perhaps long experience coupled with qualifications is a better guide ;) :)
Peter Q
Retired electrician [With awide range of experience] :)
Dot

Post by Dot »

I would have thought that if the "up to date qualified ones" were used and they mucked up you would have a better chance of getting "justice" from their governing body or higher than thou. If you used a not registered person or what ever the term then you have a snowballs chance in hell of anything..
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Dot,

Its not the up to date qualifications all are qualified installers its the interpenetration of the existing rules, and what the different states decided to accept. Looks like we are all independent despite living on the same lump of dirt. The bloke that told me I didn't have to worry about high and low vents was right, for this state that is, as the regs weren't accepted here. I don't care what the regs are I just want to make sure my bus is as safe as it possible can be. AND looking to the future it looks like annual gas inspections are on the cards like heavy vehicle inspections. The sooner we go to federal rules the better then everyone will be equal regardless. Even interstate registration rules and inspections are up for changes and big changes. Vehicles that comply now may not shortly.

Dirk
TigerMK1

Post by TigerMK1 »

Use an experianced Marine Gas installer. They know everthing there is about gas safety. It is especially important on boats, your life depends on it. The one that fitted our unit did a perfect job. Every pipe has its own shut off valve and is fixed to stop any movement and is protected from damage. He also mentioned he was doing it as a favour to me, did not usually work on such a simple installation.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

G'Day Tiger,

Gas installer are in short supply in regional areas unfortunately. Even under the old rules EVERY appliance has to have a shut off valve, that's good and certainly needed. Piping had to be protected with plastic tubing, although the regs. do say as applied by the manufacturer but most I have seen are covered with garden hose plastic. Even the type/grade of copper pipe is specified as well as the clamping specs along with the fittings.

Dirk
Busman

Post by Busman »

Well VP has a gas certificate but is it legal, NO it is not. It was done by a qualified installer, the second we tried after the first one used plastic pipe (a nono in moible installs)
The first one was one with the assistance of another gas fitter who does all Jaycos' work in this part of the world !! He did not have a clue, and they had 3 goes at it before I told them to take all their crap out and piss off

The guy that did it is a qualifed gas installer. He rolled out a coiled length (never be straight again) of 1/2 copper tube and ran it UNDER the chassis rails at one point, until I objected. Clips about every 2 mtrs. Didn't look or ask about upper and lower vents, or an LPG alarm. The whole main line is loose and rattling.
There is no shut off on the BBQ line. When I asked for an electrical shut off valve, "don't wory about one of those"
Really really shoddy work, but I have a certificate for rego, after which I will pull it all out and do it properly. AND cost me over $1400 for few hours work.

And they wonder why you do your own gas and electrical work ? Some of us have far more knowledge and in some cases experience in these fields than the guys with the paper, with the dearth of trades people this country is facing I believe there should be an intermediate sort of standard for those with that knowledge.

William
Last edited by Busman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

Bill,

Exactly, why can I find out things that should be done and how to do it, yet these turkeys can't. One installer here wanted $80 to just come and have a "look". He says its to cover his expenses and fuel, he lives less the 30km's away, 15min each way. When I asked him what size vents I needed he said buy a domestic vent they are right. I told him there are quite a few domestic vents, which one do I need. "No idea I'll have to go and measure one"....... This bloke is a domestic agent, enough said, he wont be doing my bus. Neither will a few other around this place. Talk about a bloody joke, if it wasn't such dangerous it would be a joke.

Dirk