Caravan safety chains.

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Chuck

Caravan safety chains.

Post by Chuck »

Yesterday Catriana & I were operating a Driver Survivor setup at Ilford in NSW.

A 23' van pulled in & a middle aged male came over for a coffee. He looked a bit haggard so asked him how things were going... this was his reply:

"The day was going well until I reached Bathurst where I was pulled over by the police for breath, licence & vehicle checks... along with numerous others. The first 2 checks were fine but then when we got to the caravan the officer then proceeded to give me a lecture on my safety chains & why he would be issued with a fine of a $148 (if I remember correctly)."

When he asked the officer specifically what was wrong with the chains - the officer stated they were too loose & drooping!

The chains were exactly like the ones I used on my vans for 10 years...crossed & fitted to the correct u-bolts.

The officer realised the driver was not happy & advised him of the option to challenge the fine at court.

The driver stated he would do just that & asked the officer to stand beside the van draw bar, pointing at the offending chains & the driver would then take a photo.

The officer walked away!

The driver stated he will definitely take the matter to court.

Without seeing the chains in place it's difficult to say who is right or wrong.

Your views?
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
jon_d

Re: Caravan safety chains.

Post by jon_d »

It would be interesting to know what was written on the ticket. There needs to be a reference to a law that was broken.

I hope he took a photo of the chains and ticket before moving.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

That sounds pretty standard for the NSW Highway Patrol, unfortunately. I had one officer, not all that long ago, that was going to book me for not having a load binder on the rear of the Suzuki on the trailer. It was only after I reminded her that it wasn't req'd in Qld, the state of our registration, that she rolled back on that. Still booked me for doing 53 in a 50 though. Yes, I know that technically I was speeding but I was only about 100 meters from the 80 k sign on the south side of Forbes.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

supersparky wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:18 pm That sounds pretty standard for the NSW Highway Patrol, unfortunately. I had one officer, not all that long ago, that was going to book me for not having a load binder on the rear of the Suzuki on the trailer. It was only after I reminded her that it wasn't req'd in Qld, the state of our registration, that she rolled back on that.
Rozzer who pulled me up for the same thing wouldn't buy the "OK in home state" line.
Gave me 24hrs to buy a ratchet strap, use it, & report to the nearest Cop Shop or he'd process the ticket.
Maybe he was just trying to save face.
Since then, I've carried a "NSW Strap" which I attach as I cross into that state, and remove when I exit.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Not only in NSW but the same think in Vic

Got stopped for doing more than the speed limit in a 80Km zone
I passed her on the other side of the road and watched her trying to do a U turn to catch me.
By the time she had "caught" me I was outside the car and waiting for her.
She was going to book me for doing 75Km until I pointed out that it was a 80 limit
"Then you were'nt wearing a seat belt"... I was ... The car had tinted windows and they were shut.
Any way I got a ticket with the advise I could dispute it if I liked

But as I was doing a RW ( road worthy ) check I walked over to her car, almost bald front tyre, Police controls attached to "C" pillar and obstructing view as well as a list of little things that were not OK.

So I wrote a RWC page on her car and passed it to her.
"What's THIS !"
A RWC and your car failed , so you better book your self !

MUCH RANTING etc but it was a legal paper issued by a licensed tester so I advised her to take it because as as soon as I got to a phone I was advising the Police she was driving a "Unroadworthy Vehicle" and to either book her or get it off the road.

Now you would say this was risky but as it was my last day there I didn't care ...... next week I was in WA so well away from any future hassles.

Never did hear the result , just paid the ticket as I was in WA.
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:13 am ................
Rozzer who pulled me up for the same thing wouldn't buy the "OK in home state" line.
Gave me 24hrs to buy a ratchet strap, use it, & report to the nearest Cop Shop or he'd process the ticket.
Maybe he was just trying to save face.
Since then, I've carried a "NSW Strap" which I attach as I cross into that state, and remove when I exit.
I just put a strap on each corner now. It helps a bit on the bouncy roads out west anyway. Only takes an extra few minutes.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

David,
It helps a bit on the bouncy roads out west anyway.
You must travel faster than I do.
I once accidentally left a 2 litre plastic bottle standing alone in the back of the Jimny, drove 250km, and found it still standing. :shock: 8-)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Ha Ha Ha, we probably just drive on different roads. Some of the out west ones are pretty ordinary. I'm not allowed to drive fast anyway. Since a had a conversation with the lovely police officer in Forbes, back a page, the navigator keeps one eye locked onto the GPS speedo.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

What was in the bottle Ray ?
Bernie .
Greynomad