tow bars

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

tow bars

Post by Dot »

Is it legal to make a tow bar for cars?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Mrcoolabah1au

Re: tow bars

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

What out of water pipe 🤔
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
Dot

Post by Dot »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:52 pm What out of water pipe 🤔
No Wayne I was thinking about those sausage balloons :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
Don’t know about SA, but in Vic they have to be certified by a licenced engineer.
I suspect that means a sample unit has to be tested to destruction.
I don’t like your chances.
Better to cough up the $$$ and buy one designed for the specific vehicle. Or have some company like ARB make a custom job.
Jim the Junior Jeep’s bullbar was an ARB custom unit, which they subsequently added to their product range.
Had to comply with airbag sensor/crumple rate specs, as well as the custom mounting points.
From memory, they were required to submit three units to VicRoads for testing & approval before they could supply mine.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Anyone can make one, but you can't use it on the road till it's been rated by an engineer.
That's the expensive part...

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Why Dot?

For the bus or the new car?
Dot

Post by Dot »

Thank you everyone. The old days have surly gone I remember my dad made one for his car way back in the early 60's. Was looking at tow bars for the next car and nearly had an accident, $1130 :o
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:33 pm Thank you everyone. The old days have surly gone I remember my dad made one for his car way back in the early 60's. Was looking at tow bars for the next car and nearly had an accident, $1130 :o
I'm guessing that is the add on cost if supplied by the dealer when installed before delivery. I'm sure an after market bar would be a lot cheaper (with the approval numbers stamped in) and can be purchased with George following the installation instruction (with your guidance of course) or a towbar installation mob (if George wants a rest from the whip cracking) could do the whole job and carry the responsibility if the lights etc didn't work properly afterwards.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
wayneP

Post by wayneP »

I'm guessing that is the add on cost if supplied by the dealer when installed before delivery. I'm sure an after market bar would be a lot cheaper (with the approval numbers stamped in) and can be purchased with George following the installation instruction (with your guidance of course) or a towbar installation mob (if George wants a rest from the whip cracking) could do the whole job and carry the responsibility if the lights etc didn't work properly afterwards
:o :o OMG Thats a bit tongue in cheek Terry!!! Fridie arvo, an a cupla beers and George can do anyfing no problems mate! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Wayne
Driver/Maintenance Boy :D
Dot

Post by Dot »

wayneP wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:29 pm I'm guessing that is the add on cost if supplied by the dealer when installed before delivery. I'm sure an after market bar would be a lot cheaper (with the approval numbers stamped in) and can be purchased with George following the installation instruction (with your guidance of course) or a towbar installation mob (if George wants a rest from the whip cracking) could do the whole job and carry the responsibility if the lights etc didn't work properly afterwards
:o :o OMG Thats a bit tongue in cheek Terry!!! Fridie arvo, an a cupla beers and George can do anyfing no problems mate! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Tongue in cheek, no that is wrong Wayne it is "Arm in tongue" :lol: :lol: :lol: Going to make final car choice in a couple of hrs so I shall try to squeeze one tow bar for a sale.