Engine cover up or down?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

Engine cover up or down?

Post by Dot »

Saw on another place that the man drives with the engine cover open to help keep the motors heat from transferring to the bed??? Whats the thinking on this?? it is a rear engine.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Coolabah1au

Re: Engine cover up or down?

Post by Coolabah1au »

Would be Nice in winter time if need a warm bed [emoji590][emoji590][emoji590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Very much depends on how the air is circulated through the radiator and away. If you did that on a VW kombi rear engine you would have it overheat within a few kms. The Denning rear engine converted coaches were the same. The idea with both of these designs was the air must pass over the motor to exit the engine bay.
Many people think there is a vaccum formed behind the bus body, but it is actually a vortex with air currents flowing in multiple directions. If you have a slight oil leak you will see it spotted over the back of the bus body, if you make an opening in the body, all that rubbish and hot air gets fed into that opening unless air is fed in from the sides of the bus body in a sufficient volume that it can over come the volume of air trying to rush into the opening ...... Basically, it might just make it worse.
If you add a heat shield between the engine and the under bed floor/roof of the engine bay and direct air from the sides under that heat shield, any heat that radiates through the heat shield will be push away and down across the engine and discharge under the rear of the bus. If the body builder didn't put a vent in the rear door originally, there was a very good reason for it.
Nothing stopping you opening the engine bay door once you have stopped driving and letting the heat escape ....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---Dot,
Are you saying that you are "HOT STUFF" when you are in bed ?
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Keith Morris wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 am "tanks" here---Dot,
Are you saying that you are "HOT STUFF" when you are in bed ?
Keith.
Oh you are awful but I like you. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
wayneP

Post by wayneP »

AHHH Now I understand this post!!! Thanks "tanks" :D
Engine cover up "Nighty" George have fun !!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Engine cover down "Nighty Down" :( :( George go watch cricket/tv
Dam your clever Tanks with these clever special codes !! :twisted:
Wayne
Driver/Maintenance Boy :D