Another major event tomorrow night

Any dates & venues of get togethers, Farmer's Markets, Shows, Rally's or other items of interest
supersparky

Re: Another major event tomorrow night

Post by supersparky »

I am an Aussie rules fan and always will be, but I also enjoy NRL and will be watching tonight.
Regardless of whatever sport you follow, they have stuffed it by fiddling with the rules to make it bigger, better, faster whatever.
When big money got involved with sport it all went pear shaped.
The only decent sport to watch now is junior or grassroots sport.
But some parents don't even GET that as they have developed the 'win at all costs' mentality.
Touring car racing used to be fun and almost affordable, but they stuffed that too, when they went to V8 Supercars.
Now, they race cars you can't buy, with engine/ gearbox combinations that years ago would have forced them into the Sports Sedan class.
The only thing that they haven't stuffed up yet is the speedway. And that might be safe for a while 'cos the beautiful people don't go, 'cos they might get some dirt in their hair.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Decades ago, we played at the Raiders first fund raising night in their tiny club rooms at the time and did a couple of more gigs for them. They offered us membership, but I find the game boring and extremely violent, even though did play a few game in my 20's, but they got the shits with me as every time they threw it to me as fullback, would drop kick a goal and hated getting tackled. Much prefer AFL as spectator and skills game, now prefer watching the ladies play as they are so passionate and really get into it,. Same with cricket, watch the ladies as they provide a real game even if one sided, but the blokes are all posers and piss weak players in my opinion. Especially when the girls have players like Healey, Perry and Lanning, it's well worth watching them play.
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

supersparky wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:06 pm
norman wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 pm Biggest event is on now in Japan........is,nt it..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Norman, do you mean the Cherry Blossom Festival?? :roll: :roll:
Seem,s to be raining BLACK shirts David. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Norman, I had to go 10 pages in today's paper to find any mention of the RWC. A lot of NRL stuff though. It looks like Qld are claiming the Raiders as a local team up here. :lol: A little bit about NZ and Namibia, but nothing on the tv. A bit of biased reporting, but Qld papers are like that. :roll:
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

What did you think of the game? It is a very fast paced game these days compared to the slow paced thug game it was yrs ago. A few controversies but what game doesn't have them these days. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that debacle over the tackle recount with one ref signalling a tackle recount without conferring with the other ref or touch judge that the opposing team member had actually played at the ball and knocked it back into attacking teams possession.
Did the better team win? To be able to make such a fast attacking run after having to defend a strong attack while being a man down says to me they were the better team on the day.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

David,

I'm with you.

Big Money has ruined Bathurst, F1 & even the Porsche Cup (which started as all-amateur).
Can't be bothered watching any of them now.
Good thing Corowa has a speedway... :P

And Lance Armstrong ruined the TdF for me. (Sorry, Dottie! :( ;) )
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Lance Armstrong ruined TdF for a lot of people. Including himself.
I just don't understand why they have to keep making things 'better'.
If if ain't broke.........
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I think you are all being a bit tough on Lance Armstrong. He won a lot of gruelling cycling events while he was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike when I was on drugs ;) :lol:

Anyone watch the formula E racing? Electric formula 1 cars, they go hard and the racing is reasonably even, some tracks suit one team's set up while other tracks suit another team, it could be driver related or tuning related where acceleration or top speed or still having the max acceleration available at the end of the race while others are conserving battery energy. A bit like the fuel strategy thing but they don't come in for a recharge or tyre change, so what they start with is what they run for the whole race. They are still really quick

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Yep I've been watching the FE racing...they are fast alright...and battery monitoring is as fuel strategy .
Bernie .
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I thought that they were changing cars, similar to what the bikes do now. They did I the last race I watched on Youtube at least. Or is that a different formula of E?
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine