Fish oil for dogs.

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Greynomad

Re: Fish oil for dogs.

Post by Greynomad »

native pepper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:38 pm Not into feeding anything consisting of eggs, personally not into eating the reject menstrual cycle of a chook, which will probably change your mind :D.
Story goes that a Professor of History once challenged his students with:
"Can you apply the label 'civilised' to a society which relishes burnt embryos served on twice-burnt grass seeds smeared with mammary fluid?"
There was a general murmur of revulsion in the class before he continued,
"I refer, of course, to fried eggs on buttered toast."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

native pepper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:38 pm........when I cook it includes my dogs food as well, so they get what I eat mostly, except for things that are not good for them.
You've raised probably the most relevant point for this subject on a caravan forum with pet owners.

The science in a dogs diet can be never-ending in its scope for learning. I dealt with breeders who not only wanted but needed optimal health. Making puppies takes a hell of a lot out of dogs, especially the bitches of course. But the dogs (Males) are not far behind.
The lengths that my ex-wife and I went to in feeding our dogs is just not practical in a family environment and not really needed.

Before the days of commercial food at the supermarket (pre late 60's???) what you describe is exactly what happened and at the end of the day, for pet owners is what I would suggest now. Dogs ate whatever leftovers from the dinner table. Remove the cooked bones and any member of the onion family.
Once a week or so mum would pick up a (usually free) raw meaty bone. And, the result was healthy dogs. Hell, I'd even advocate the occasional meal of tinned muck on nights when you go out for dinner and there are no leftovers. ........Hmmmm. Ok, maybe avoid Pedigree PAL. Unless your dog is constipated. Personally, when I did have a pet dog I rather liked Natures Gift occasionally. I visited the factory years ago and can vouch there's no rubbish in it

People get all caught up with trying to give a healthy balanced diet for every meal. They should instead think in terms of the overall diet for the week. Just like we do in our own diets. A takeaway pizza occasionally does us no harm so long as the rest of the weeks meals are relatively healthy. Dogs are the same.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

T1 Terry wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:55 pm......as she got older with the arthritis pain in the joints]
Hmmm. Small dog. Arthritis in joints. I'm going with patella luxation. Knees on the back legs for the layman. Also possible but less likely is the skeletal geometry of the front legs and shoulders. Wrong angle of the shoulder blades, cabriolet legs etc. But seldom does this lead to arthritis. It can, but not usual.
......we learnt we over exercised her when she was young and wore out the leg joints .... what suits a medium to large dog as far as exercise apparently over does it for a small breed dog ...]
Once again. Hmmmmmm. This condition is rife in all small breeds. My breed in my breeding days was the Chihuahua. Breeds don't come any smaller. And patella luxation is one of the main polygenetic issues I mentioned earlier. I could write a book on the subject. In fact, I probably have if you add up all the individual articles and course notes I've written over the years. Hip dysplasia is its first cousin in larger breeds.

in a nutshell, no......you didn't cause the problem. It's a genetic trait inherited from Mum or Dad or both. It happens in degrees so different dogs can have different levels of the issue and it deteriorates with age. It can, and has been eliminated by a number of breeders across Australia. All it takes is a mind to learning the science behind its heritability and setting out to do something about it. It takes a large number of generations to see results but I can personally vouch that it can be done.

I won't get on my soapbox about registered breeders who breed for blue ribbons and championship titles or back yarders who wouldn't know how to spell polygenetic.

Suffice to say, a healthy pup will be able to handle any amount of normal exercise your average pet owner can ever want. How a dog is put together skeletally should be the primary focus of all breeders. In fact, this one issue is the very reason why my ex-partner and I (Business partner BTW. Not relationship partner) first floated the idea of an alternative to the ANKC.
That organisation is now over 2000 members strong and is predicted to overtake the ANKC is about 5 years.

If the condition you mentioned was indeed what I've just described, blame the breeder, not yourself.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It looks like my post here from earlier this morning has gone missing in the ether somehow.
Anyway. Thanks for your input everyone. It looks like Mr B is in for a bit of a change in diet. There are a few things that I wont bother putting in the tucker bowl any more. And a bit more work involved in preparation.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

My uncle in his life never ate any type eggs, from a young boy said, " I'm not eating something that comes out of a hens bum," :lol: :lol:
Shirley & Bruce.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Grandad wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:32 am People get all caught up with trying to give a healthy balanced diet for every meal. They should instead think in terms of the overall diet for the week. Just like we do in our own diets. A takeaway pizza occasionally does us no harm so long as the rest of the weeks meals are relatively healthy. Dogs are the same.
Jim
Well Jim we differ here, if you watched a show on ABC yesterday called the superhuman, it explained the way our diet reacts in our bodies and what gives the best health outcomes and longevity. In my experience the dogs I've had show very quickly how their diet effects them and I would no more eat a pizza than give my dogs packaged food and would never eat such toxic waste as in a pizza, or any processed or packaged food. When cooking, it's for my dogs as well, so there's no real leftovers. All living beings have a specific dietary regime, diverting from that results in ill health, even for a short time it has adverse long term effects and it's how you apply and approach that dietary regime that determines good long term health and life, or short term feel good, then long term pain and suffering.

However everyone to their own approach to life and my dogs like myself, fast regularly, either a dry fast or wet one they both have different positive effects on our health. My dogs eat once a day, I eat 1-2 times a day and they do a wet 36hr fast each month, if we are on the road it normally turns into a dry fast and we fast together so they don't feel left out with me eating. I do a 36hr wet fast every week and a 36hr dry fast monthly, the benefits are clear to see. I'm also going to include my dogs in hyperbaric oxygen treatment, to reduce their toxin buildup and improve their ability to cleanse their system.As they have such different digestive systems, one has to be very careful when working with them. However have noted they really seem to enjoy the effects of breathing 65% pure O2 at 3lt per minute, which seems the best for them.

The current oxygen generator I'm building will produce 99% pure oxygen at 35lt per minute, which is necessary to get the best results and the new hyperbaric chamber I'm building will be big enough for me and the dogs, the temporary chamber I have is so small I struggle to get into it and others that have wanted to try it get claustrophobic really fast, the dogs love their short stints in the chamber.

I get laughed at for my approach to life, now the science is coming out that supports my approach, they still laugh, but I have the results they can't deny and they can see that just by looking at me. It's the same with my dogs, people always comment on how good they look and at how bright their eyes are, even the vet took them to get a chip was very impressed at their condition and mannerisms.

As for arthritis, that's a diet related condition, no different to humans, eat crap, get crap results. My late 24 year old dingo had no arthritis and my neighbours rescue dog had arthritis when she got him. He's a big tall dog and the poor bugger was struggling with arthritis, now after 3 years he bounds around and chases my 1 year kelpie (Bindi) whose nick name is the rabbit round the place.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

We’ve had six Labradors over the past 45 plus years. At one point we had three at once! All were purchased from registered breeders (except our current rescue dog Paddy), and all were X-rayed pre-purchase by the breeder & certified clear of hip displaysia.
Regardless, once SWMBO stopped show competitions we had them neutered.
None developed arthritis except Paddy, who only started suffering from it at 14 (he’s now 14 ½!). As we know that he spent possibly 8 of his first 18 months as a feral, before we adopted him from the rescue home, we’re fairly confident his first owners did not look after him very well... when the home contacted them, they didn’t want him back!
This, we suspect, set the stage for his current problems, despite our care and diet being the same as that we gave all of his predecessors.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Back to nature, raw if able only human grade for my lot. In NZ I used to buy all the sheep that was going to be killed and chucked in a big hole ( no money at that time for sheep) the farmer would sheer the sheep , do the deed, then put the whole thing through the mincer machine, my dobes loved it so did my X :lol: I also used to add heaps of vegs and apple cider vinegar and some garlic but one night my husb came home a tad under the weather, decided he was hungry so helped himself to the dogs "mince" and vegs, so he put some of each in a saucepan , cooked it up and had a great meal on toast. Well who was I to say not to :roll: I did think it funny that he just put the bits of wool on the side of his plate though :lol: He said it tasted great anyway. :lol: Breeders and those mongrel back yard breeders and puppy farms have a lot to answer for just for the almighty $$$$$$
mae's dog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

native pepper wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:00 pm Well Jim we differ here,
Well of course we do. How long did you really think we'd agree on something?

At the end of the day, you do "You".
It is obviously working so keep it up.

Cheers
Jim
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Wow Dot. I can obviously still appreciate a well put together dog. That's one good looking Dobe.

Jim