Poms really are different!

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Poms really are different!

Post by Greynomad »

Watch the Pommy program “Escape to the Country” regularly.
The British taste in houses is certainly different from those of Oz.
Three classic comments come to mind.
1. Couple wanted a “characterful older home”. They were shown a 17th Century cottage, over which they enthused until they walked into the master bedroom. Lady was shocked. “It doesn’t have an en suite!” :roll:
2. Another couple were shown a house with the master bedroom on the ground floor. Woman was instantly turned off, “I couldn’t live here. Bedrooms must be upstairs!” :roll:
Once you’re asleep, how do you know if you’re downstairs or upstairs?
3. Chap seeking a home in the country was wheelchair bound. Looked at several houses, considering where he could have a lift installed. The Mystery House was a bungalow (single storey house to us), and was astounded that all major living areas & bedrooms had French Windows, so he could open them and roll straight out onto the fully surrounding porch!
He had never thought of looking for anything other than a two-storey with space for a lift! :roll:
Like I said the Poms think differently.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Re: Poms really are different!

Post by Noggins »

We watch it quite a bit.
I'm always amazed at the house Must Be 2 or more stories, Ohh no I couldn't-live in a Bungalow !
Then there's the huge "Butlers Sink" bloody great lump of porcelain in the kitchen, gotta have a wood fire ( see the radiators in every room ?) and the wood fire isn't even a double burn, just a smokey thing.
But you do get to see a bit of the country that we're never going to visit ( unless Lotto Lady smiles on us )

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Ron,
Agree with seeing parts of UK you’d never see on a guided tour. Always fascinating.
I believe those sinks are known as “Belfast” sinks.
Not sure why the name, but apparently the history is that they were made so large because they did double duty as a bath for the children.
Today I reckon they are an indulgence, as you’d need to use quite a fair amount of water to do the dishes.
… then again, water is one thing the UK seems to have in abundance. Delivered regularly (unlike Oz). 🤔
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Picky picky , I wouldn't have a house without an en suite either. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:50 am Picky picky , I wouldn't have a house without an en suite either. :lol:
But think on the exercise you would have got over the last few weeks Dottie :lol: It doesn't take long to clock up the kms walked when the toilet is two rooms away ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

T1 Terry wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:15 am
Dot wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:50 am Picky picky , I wouldn't have a house without an en suite either. :lol:
But think on the exercise you would have got over the last few weeks Dottie :lol: It doesn't take long to clock up the kms walked when the toilet is two rooms away ;)

T1 Terry
Or up the back yard where it was when I was a kid.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Newcastle George wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:19 am
T1 Terry wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:15 am

T1 Terry
Or up the back yard where it was when I was a kid.

George
We had a "guzunder" for those yrs, the dog was locked in the outside throne room at night :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

I can assure you I would NOT have made even 3 ft at the height of the squirts believe me. This is the very first time I have ever had this condition, not too bad for this old chook hey?
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Pwaaak...puk...puk. :twisted:
;)
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dottie,
It wasn’t that the woman wanted an en suite at all, but that she expected a 17th Century house to have one!
Our first house had what is called a ‘Jack & Jill’ bathroom: two doors, one from the hall (for the rest of the family) & one from the master bedroom.
I’d call it a ‘semi-en suite’.

BTW, recipe sent last night. We want pix of your efforts… including a cross-section of a slice! 😀
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields