Old Beddie

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Pokey

Old Beddie

Post by Pokey »

Well we are stuck with an old Bedford, does the same as a new Winnie but at a tenth of the new cost and you have to be prepared to take all day doing it and put up with her being a bit temperamental at times. Thank god she had a heart transplant before we got her and the old Perkins just seems to keep on keeping on.

The trouble is working out where everything is, why there is a fuse panel with 20 fuses and what they all do? The fun of someone elses untidy handywork. Although I will say the fit out is very tidy and we surprising to most people who see inside her after looking at her from outside. Paint is the last job on our agenda.
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Re: Old Beddie

Post by norman »

Welcome aboard guys.Pretty good bunch on here.. Dont know too much about Beddies, though we got our fair share here...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Ya gotta love the old Bedfords, they just keep on going. The old 6354 Perkins was never going to snap your neck with the sheer acceleration either but they will plod up just about any hill. Gettin the exhaust size right can be a little tricky, they actually like a bit of back pressure to perform at their best.
Don't you just love other peoples wiring when there is no schematics or even a hint where the wires actually go to once they vanish through the hole :lol: I have a Mazda with a tad of spiderweb designed wiring to sort though at the moment, spent last Sat trying to get one bundle sorted so I could get the floor of the battery box back in but I did discover why the battey monitor was a fairly random device :P

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BobnBev

Post by BobnBev »

Hi Porkey, There is nothing wrong with the bedford, It was our first MH and it went around the block and then some. I did the transplant to a 401 Leyland. and a high speed diff. All good. It now sits in the yard as a store shed full of good things..
It ernt it place there as I couldnt wreck her. so many good times.. And there are parts all over for bedfords, good choice..
I have a power asist stearing system in the shed that just never got fitted.. Love the Bedford....
I know what you are saying about the wires.....
Bob n Bev......
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Fortunately mine's got a great big hydraulic ram fitted for the steering otherwise I'd end up with muscles in my s...

Yeah she goes OK, will go up the hills just as long as you like a procession. They just don't seem to get that I can't just pull over and stop anywhere. If I did it while still going up hill I may not get going again. At least with the Perkins I am not going to EVER complain that the computer died, the only computer fitted is the human operating it. The only thing about the Perkins is I am not sure if the supposed 120HP is real horses or shetlands!
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Pokey wrote:Fortunately mine's got a great big hydraulic ram fitted for the steering otherwise I'd end up with muscles in my s...

Yeah she goes OK, will go up the hills just as long as you like a procession. They just don't seem to get that I can't just pull over and stop anywhere. If I did it while still going up hill I may not get going again. At least with the Perkins I am not going to EVER complain that the computer died, the only computer fitted is the human operating it. The only thing about the Perkins is I am not sure if the supposed 120HP is real horses or shetlands!
Unless it's a Perkins Phaser with a turbo and intercooler there is no 210 ponies in there, a 6.354 was as strong as an ox but battled to break the 120hp mark, their original power output was 112 hp. The pump can be tickled up to give a few more ponies, in the old days they measured tuning by the length of the flame out the exhaust and the feathery tip on the end :lol: those days are over :twisted:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
mikeg

Post by mikeg »

"The only thing about the Perkins is I am not sure if the supposed 120HP is real horses or shetlands!"

If you reckon the Perkins is lacking you should experience the 330 Bedford, remind me sometime to tell you about being passed by butterflies.

Mike
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Ah yes, the mighty 330 Bedford diesel, used the same block and many of the parts from the 300 petrol engine but just none of the horse power. I could never understand why they were matched up to 4 speed gearbox, that was a motor that needed deep reduction to take off down hill :lol: We replaced one with a 308 holden motor on LPG and it lasted a week before it snapped a rear axle, turned out the driver was trying to race one of the other busses off the mark and he side stepped the clutch :lol: it's a wonder everything didn't come out of it. The magic conversion for them was either a 350 Chev or a 308 with a 355 stroker crank running LPG and an Allison 545 auto with the lock up converter, they went like a train, up hill and down dale.

T1 Terry
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Ah Mike, we get passed a lot too but I'm getting stickers made up of outlines of cars and trucks. Will paste them on the side like WWII fighters with every "kill". So far I have to put 3 cars and a truck on the side. Not bad with a top speed, or as close to a top speed as I am prepared to take her of approx 90kph.

Still trying to work out what 2 of the cars were doing. It was on a multi lane freeway with a 100kph speed limit and I went past them like they were standing still, well not actually standing still.