Hot Spots In Dogs & Causes

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Hot Spots In Dogs & Causes

Post by Dot »

My boy Mr Max used to get these (he had Cushing's disease) thought this may be of interest to you dog lovers out there.

Hot spots are an area of skin that is inflamed, infected, itchy, oozing and irritated. They are most common in dogs with long hair, and/or under performing immune systems. Remember in our last newsletter the importance of Omega Fatty acids and their effect on your pets immune system?

Hot spots appear when bacteria overpopulates and invades an area of skin which then becomes infected. Hot Spots can come on very quickly and can be painful and sensitive to touch.

How to treat your dog's Hot Spot
Clip back the hair or shave the area that's infected until you have healthy skin appear around the spot. Dilute some Betadine with purified water to an iced tea colour then gently swab the infected area and dry well afterwards. Keep treating the area as it continues to ooze. You may need to treat the area every couple of hours initially until the infection settles down. Using food grade (3%) hydrogen peroxide can help to kill bacteria and dry the ooze. It is vital to keep it dry and clean. You will need to ensure the dog leaves the sore alone - by either applying an E (Elizabethan) collar (lamp shade like) to the dog, a light dressing/bandage or a T-shirt. After treatment you can apply a topical solution such as raw aloe, a thin layer of Manuka Honey (raw honey from tea tree) or a cool chamomile tea bag for soothing. If the infection spreads to the healthy skin surrounding the spot, your treatment is not working and it is time to seek veterinary advice.

Possible causes of Hot Spots
To avoid further hot spots you need to identify the root cause such as:
Allergies - diet, environmental or flea allergy dermatitis. Ear infections are another common cause. Swimming in dam water. Be aware of foods he is eating and external allergens - even polluted air can cause hot spots
Underlying painful condition - if your dog is old and has an aching hip, he may attack this area biting and digging creating a hot spot
Emotional mental issues - anxiety and obsessive compulsive behaviours
Consult your vet to help identify the root cause of your dog's hot spot and prevent further infections.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Hot Spots In Dogs & Causes

Post by BruceS »

My God Dot........... I think I've got a hot spot!!!
""Emotional mental issues - anxiety and obsessive compulsive behaviours ....................""
I'll re-read your fixes .........
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

Never fear my first aid kit is near. :P
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Kelvin12

Post by Kelvin12 »

We found kibble the cause of one of our dogs hot spots. According the vet kibble and other dry foods heat up the blood to much and create all sorts of skin aliments. His suggestion cut back the dry stuff by half each time until you get to a happy medium. We did find it was mostly during the hotter parts of the seasons.

Dirk
Dot

Post by Dot »

most of the dog food bought in supermarkets is crap,