Feeding raw foods brings the Winds of change

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Feeding raw foods brings the Winds of change

Post by Dot »

If your dog lives outside flatulence may not much of an issue in your household but let’s face it, if your canine companion shares our home or you’re planning to take a long car journey together their company can get… shall we say… a little on the nose!

A normal bodily function
Make no mistake, flatulence is a perfectly normal function of your pet’s digestion. Colonic gas formation, commonly known as farting, is a result of normal bacterial fermentation in the large bowel (colon). Normal healthy animals have a large population of ‘good bacteria’ called pro-biotics that live in the colon consuming fermented faecal matter in the bowel. As a result of fermentation they produce essential vitamins that are absorbed back into the animal’s system.

Excessive flatulence

As a general rule, colonic bacteria feeding on carbohydrate produce a non-smelly gas, whereas those that ferment proteins – especially cooked meat protein– will produce sulphur dioxide gas (the classic rotten egg-smelling gas). So, type and volume of gas produced is due to a combination of dietary ingredients and the relative ratios of the different types of colonic bacteria.

Excessive gas formation is due to an imbalance in the levels of colonic bacteria. Certain food groups will favour the development of ‘putrefactive’ bacteria (smelly gas forming bacteria) which includes beans, dairy products, cooked meat, and certain vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, potato), all of which may be found in the ingredients of many commercial pet foods.

What can you do to reduce putrefactive bacteria

I generally advise switching your pet to a natural raw diet and experimenting with the ingredients to get a good mix. Repopulating the bowel using a pro-biotic supplement (live culture yoghurt or - more recently - a specific veterinary pro-biotic called Protexin) can be very effective. There are also a few natural ingredients that can lessen smelly flatulence like raw garlic, fennel, aniseed, ginger, or peppermint oil.

NB: Steer clear of charcoal
Conventional treatment for excessive flatulence was to give activated charcoal (powder or tablets) to absorb the gas. However, recent cancer research has shown all charcoals to be highly carcinogenic and, as such, it can no longer be recommended.

Seems there is some good advice for some of us humans as well ;) ;) :twisted:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
shonky

Re: Feeding raw foods brings the Winds of change

Post by shonky »

Hi, all.

Some years ago a fine little terrier of mine was prone to sticking his nose into the car's dashboard vents. Dunno whether he was supercharged or turbocharged. I know he had no intercooler...
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.
slowhand

Post by slowhand »

My boy only passes wind when he is excited about going somewhere in the car and forgets to go before hand, which normally means a stop up the road. The bus doesn't have the same effect on him, he is always relaxed about that and knows days before that we are heading off, so hangs round the bus and every time it is opened, he is in ready to go. Always get very disappointed when I tell him, not yet.

He eats what I do, which is mostly vegetables and grains, fresh fish and chook, plus he gets fresh roo tails once a week at least. One of his favorite foods is raw organic oats since he was a pup, he has a bowl near his veranda bed which he nibble on. His other love is hazelnuts, we had a few trees in Vic and he used to lie under the trees and crack any nuts that fell, and had a bowl in the house, or he would howl if others were eating them and he wasn't. Would never feed him processed packaged or canned food, I don't eat it so can't see why he should suffer from being poisoned.

The grin he had on his face when he discovered there is a hazel nut farm not far from us and they have told me we can have what ever we want, as they are only interested in truffles, made his day. We are off to the vet tomorrow which he hates, to get him checked out. His attitude will change once he realises where we are going, then will have to drag him in. Which is the only time he ever has to get pushed to do something, bit like humans and dentists.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I had a laugh at Slowhands dogs antics but the eating nuts worried me so I sent the question off to the vet that lets me post tips etc on here for you and here is her reply. I guess it is the old saying "everything in moderation" but there are certain human foods that are a no no for dogs e.g onions, chocolate, cooked bones . Just sayin ;)

No not all nuts are bad but I would avoid all nuts. It's mainly cashews and macadamia nuts, but best stay away from all.

Cheers
Meagan

Thanks for that Meagan, I shall put that info on the forum Q/ Are all nuts no good for dogs? one man said his dog loves hazelnuts! Cheers Dot :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.