More bench space needed.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: More bench space needed.

Post by T1 Terry »

when we were doing the research before starting the big bus fit out, the complaint was either, not enough bench space, or, we didn't need all this bench space, we could have put XYZ in place of it. It seems required bench space is the square of the number of hings you want to put on it, and, bench space is the only thing that can not be multi use, yo always want to use it for the second option while it's still being used for the first option.
the best all round solution appeared to be a slide out bench that could be tucked away behind an existing cupboard or seat or double the size of the bech by making it "L" shaped when needed.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

In my little cottage in NZ below the bench but above the cutlery draw there was a slide out bench thingy, only small about 18" x 2' but it was invaluable... :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Just wondering if it was you or the boss wanted more bench space :?: :?:
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

This pic will give a better view of what we have...
Van bench & sink area small..jpg
If the TV wasn't there then we would have the space on the left of the stove top (lift up).

The area to the right of the sink, hidden by the fridge is about the same area as the cook top - front to window & the same width - but is impractical to use... bloody awkward to reach stuff.

Saw a pic in a magazine recently of a Jayco van with a similar sink & a wooden cover on it. So went down to the St Marys mob to have a look but they didn't have any in stock. They suggested we have a look in the new vans - & some with the round sink had a white plastic variety.

Looked a bit cheap & nasty - but effective.

Will keep looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Seems the post I made yesterday floated away in the server swap. If the tv had a bracket that allowed it to be swung away, either folded up with the screen under the cupboard or above the door and the trinket baskets moved to the fan bench, would that give you enough extra bench space. Can the TV be moved some where else in the van? A fold out bench across the door way might be another option, ADMIN's photo of Elle coming through the door just as you were using the bench spot disappeared as well.... might be safer to just view Elle in the doorway actually, with bench between you and her :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Great minds think alike Terry.

Wednesday evening I was looking at that space & whilst we had previously fiddled with the TV bracket - it hangs off the side wall - I wasn't really happy with what we ended up with. The TV will not go all the way forward as it is a bit higher than the pelmet piece of timber across the front of the van above the window.

However, by rearranging the cabling at the rear of the TV I can now press it almost flat against the left hand side of the van - it does stick out into the door access area a bit but we can work around that & would only be for a short duration.

So that, along with one of the Jayco sink covers, should do the trick.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
generdawg

Post by generdawg »

Chuck wrote:... some with the round sink had a white plastic variety. Looked a bit cheap & nasty - but effective.
Mmmm, since you seem to be a bit fussy then my suggestion below may get the flick, but first let me say that laminated bamboo is dimensionally stable which is why it was used for slide rules - I still have one, but it needs fresh batteries. 8-)

Despite the material, even a square piece of laminate however thick could be cut to the internal diameter of the sink with a larger diameter cut to the required depth to suit the recess in the sink making it level with the top surface. (imagine a cotton spool cut in half)

However, my alternate idea was a nylon cutting board cut to circular shape, but you seem to rule that out as being too pedestrian for your status. :lol:

dawg
Experience is a wonderful thing. It helps you recognise a mistake when repeated.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

:D :) :lol:
I actually noticed those 'nylon' cutting boards I linked to had various colours available in his Ebay Shop.
Brown, blue, green etc.
Added benefit is they could be 'disposable' every so often & in the meantime good for slicing vegetables & sandwiches etc without damaging knives.
Maybe a round one sikaflexed to a larger square one with 'cutouts' for the taps would create a better functional size?
(round to hold it securely in place in the sink)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Dawg,

My apologies if I gave you an impression other than I'm open to suggestions.

My comment on the Jayco unit - although indicating that it looked 'cheap & nasty' ... but effective, was simply my impression of it... thin white plastic material that, I imagine, would tend to look a little grotty over a fairly short period of time. Especially if it was being used as a bench top.

Your idea on the bamboo got my attention & although I spent some time with Mr Google nearly all I could find related to flooring material.

Yesterday, Bunnings had some marine ply sheeting that should do nicely after cutting, staining & sealing... but the smallest I could find was around 2m x 1.5m with either 9mm or 12mm thickness. In the short term I might just grab one of those & cut it down to size then shape.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
norman
Location: Home Base...Paeroa.NZ OZ Base. Where ever we happen to be.......

Post by norman »

Chuck wrote:Dawg,

My apologies if I gave you an impression other than I'm open to suggestions.

My comment on the Jayco unit - although indicating that it looked 'cheap & nasty' ... but effective, was simply my impression of it... thin white plastic material that, I imagine, would tend to look a little grotty over a fairly short period of time. Especially if it was being used as a bench top.

Your idea on the bamboo got my attention & although I spent some time with Mr Google nearly all I could find related to flooring material.

Yesterday, Bunnings had some marine ply sheeting that should do nicely after cutting, staining & sealing... but the smallest I could find was around 2m x 1.5m with either 9mm or 12mm thickness. In the short term I might just grab one of those & cut it down to size then shape.
Pardon me Chuck but shouldn,t you be using a non treated product
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt....
If at first you dont succeed, Skydiving is not for you.