Which adhesive for hot water service hose?

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Chuck

Which adhesive for hot water service hose?

Post by Chuck »

Van HWS hose 1.JPG

Van HWS hose 2.JPG
Van HWS hose 3.JPG
This all came about when a camera was fitted to the rear of the van. The cable was passed through a hole in the floor where the hoses from the HWS went. As the cable was being pulled through the hole from underneath the Auto Sparky thinks he also pulled on the black hose... & felt it give a little... hence the angle at the HWS & the consequential leak. He thinks there is adhesive showing on the black hose.

I don't know which brand of fitting this is but to my limited knowledge it doesn't look like a John Guest.

Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Dot

Re: Which adhesive for hot water service hose?

Post by Dot »

Take it back to the ones that did the rev camera jobbie my sweet prince.. :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Nah!

He's coming round to our place to fix it!! :D

But being a sparky he admits the van scene watering system is not his forte.

He did phone Paul Tall, who runs a caravan repair joint out Windsor/Richmond way, for his thoughts but now admits it was a busy day & he forgot the product that was suggested.

Hence my question. :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Classic example of why I'd use the Philmac ones referred to in that other topic.
Compression is exactly that....... the tighter you do it up the better it seals.
At least you can undo it, trim off a half inch & redo it up. No goo needed.
Is it possible it's leaking where the black fitting screws into the brass elbow? I doubt it.
If it's JG fitting & you wish to keep using it/them you'll most likely need to discard that one & replace it.
Can anyone tell me how you can reuse JG fittings?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

admin wrote:Classic example of why I'd use the Philmac ones referred to in that other topic.
Compression is exactly that....... the tighter you do it up the better it seals.
Is it possible it's leaking where the black fitting screws into the brass elbow? I doubt it.
If it's JG fitting & you wish to keep using it/them you'll most likely need to discard that one & replace it.
Yes they can be reused.. :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

admin wrote:Classic example of why I'd use the Philmac ones referred to in that other topic.
Don't think so...

When we had the Winnie there were quite a few of the JG fittings that leaked... those that did had 'moved' enough to allow the hoses to drop a little - allowing the pressure to spurt the water out. In this case the hose has definitely been pulled down from the fitting on the brass elbow... the spray went up.

The big problem here is the access - I can't get a hand to it - so hopefully the sparky can, a much smaller bloke. Reckon they must have fitted that hose prior to installing the unit.

So, assuming it's not JG... any ideas on which sealant/adhesive to use?
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Wilbor

Post by Wilbor »

I have Hepworth compression fittings throughout Wilbor, both hot and cold. I have never had a leak either. They look a bit similar to the ones in the photo except they are grey. They also have an insert and I found them particularly easy to use. I bought mine from Cairns Hardware but I have seen some on E-bay too.

Sikaflex 221 has a heat range -40C to 90C, should be OK for the HWS, If not Sikasil GP has a service range -60C to 232C, that should do it :!: :!: ;)
Rob
Swagman
WILBOR-TOO
Why I Like Being On Road - Too
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

All fixed.

It was a JG connection & the hose had been pulled down.

Disconnected the fitting from the brass elbow which allowed a better look at it & what initially seemed to be some type of adhesive turned out to be what we think was residue from hard or salty type water... white, slightly grainy substance.

Cleaning both ends - the hose end did have an insert in it - a couple of times allowed the proper connection. So that, combined with a strategically place cable tie & all is now Unky Dory!
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.