Whats with this weather ????

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
supersparky

Re: Whats with this weather ????

Post by supersparky »

I don't think the full ones float. Only the empties. :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Well, that's weird.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

jon_d wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:46 pm Well, that's weird.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I was always told if it floated you have a problem 😁
Bernie.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Floaties can be a good sign, but no off Bondi
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

We are even getting the rain here in Manchester. :)

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Is it fact or fiction the barrages are still closed ... ??? :o :shock: :evil:

What I heard on Binkies show yesti ...???

Why would they still be closed ...???

vik... :cry:
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Oooer!
Riverlander,
Looking like a soggy Christmas in your area.
BoM says you’re in for two flood peaks: one in about 10 days, the second about Christmas. 😳😵‍💫

Got the outboard on your tinny serviced and fuelled up? 🤞
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:58 pm Luckily it's just down the road and not just up.

I've just had an idea. As they float upto your place. Strap them together and make a raft.

:shock:
I could head out into the river with a big outboard on a small boat and hook onto the containers as they float past. They still float even if they are full, the problem is they float just below the surface.
Not sure about the gas cyls, but I know the oxy G size bottles sink when full, there are quite a few of them around the big doors that seal off a certain Naval drydock, all with their brass tap part snapped off at the cyl .... apparently ..... when you lay them on the dock and hit the brass part with the sledge hammer, the cyl takes off like a torpedo, launches off the dock and under water .... until it hits the big doors with thud/ring that can be heard around the whole dockyard :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Vik351 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:39 pm Is it fact or fiction the barrages are still closed ... ??? :o :shock: :evil:

What I heard on Binkies show yesti ...???

Why would they still be closed ...???

vik... :cry:
About a mth back they removed another lot of boards to increase the outflow to make room for the flood water in the lakes. The problem is, Mannum is only 13 mtrs above sea level and there is a lot of twists in the river before it reaches the first of the lakes.
If the wind is blowing across the lake towards the river entrance, the river reverses flow, if the level is low, or just virtually stops draining when the flow is high. It doesn't take long for the level to climb all the way back to Mannum, at the moment, less than a day to go up and 3 to 4 days to drain back down.
If there is a storm off shore, the real risk is the ocean flooding back into the lakes when the boards are removed ..... a bit of a cat and mouse game getting the water out yet stopping even more pouring back in ..... so they have to keep the river/lake level higher than the sea level, so that is probably what a radio shock jock wouldn't understand or simply twist to get a reaction ...

I have no idea who Binkie is, never heard the name before, but then I don't listen to the radio these days ..... well probably for the last 10 yrs or more really, idiots trying to stir up crap in an attempt to lift their ratings isn't my idea of entertainment ......

T1 Terry

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO