What is a Bogie, please explain

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

What is a Bogie, please explain

Post by Dot »

Ok so Russell has one and I know it has something to do with wheels and axles etc but what do they do etc??? :D (and do not say you pick em) :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: What is a Boggie please explain

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote:Ok so Russell has one and I know it has something to do with wheels and axles etc but what do they do etc??? :D (and do not say you pick em) :roll:
Well that wrecked a good come back line.
When two axles share a common suspension component it is generally refered to a as boggie axle system, maybe there's only one g in it / Googled it and it's a Bogie axle :oops: In Russell's case the second axle has no drive and is behind the drive axle so it's known as a 'tag' axle, it tags along behind, if the axle was in front of the drive axle it's called a pusher axle, usually seen on a prime mover with a single drive and no room behind for another axle. The second axle is usually to share the weight although sometimes it's to get by the over hang rule on a rigid chassis.

There should be heaps of terminology in that lot to ask a whole heap more questions Dottie :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

So Russell has one to, mainly help out with the weight?? If that is the case why don't they just make the chassis stronger??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

T1 Terry wrote:
Dot wrote:Ok so Russell has one and I know it has something to do with wheels and axles etc but what do they do etc??? :D (and do not say you pick em) :roll:
Well that wrecked a good come back line.
When two axles share a common suspension component it is generally refered to a as boggie axle system, maybe there's only one g in it / Googled it and it's a Bogie axle :oops: In Russell's case the second axle has no drive and is behind the drive axle so it's known as a 'tag' axle, it tags along behind, if the axle was in front of the drive axle it's called a pusher axle, usually seen on a prime mover with a single drive and no room behind for another axle. The second axle is usually to share the weight although sometimes it's to get by the over hang rule on a rigid chassis.

There should be heaps of terminology in that lot to ask a whole heap more questions Dottie :lol:

T1 Terry
Actually its a front wheel drive, both rear axles are dummies!
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
ALAN 41

Post by ALAN 41 »

Should actually be called a "Tandem Axle".
A bogie axle is a two axle set up with its own drive.
A semi trailer with one drive axle is called a single drive, if it has two drive axles is called a bogie drive, where a trailer with two axles is called a tandem axle set up.

Al.
ALAN 41

Post by ALAN 41 »

[quote="RussellB

Actually its a front wheel drive, both rear axles are dummies![/quote]

Also called "SILLY WHEELS". :lol: :lol:
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Dot wrote:So Russell has one to, mainly help out with the weight?? If that is the case why don't they just make the chassis stronger??
Now that I'm retired I'm eating more sensibly, exercising more (10km per day on bike) and losing weight so don't need to make the chassis stronger!! :oops:
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Now that's really done in my little grey haired head in :lol: As long as I don't need one that's cool :roll: :?
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

in Russell's case I'm guessing it's the length, actually I think I asked him that while back and it was because of the rear onsuite. The chassis could be lengthened but sometimes it's just easier to put another axle under the rear, saves having to lengthed things, stops any issues with changing the Ackermann angles (Ackermann steering geometry) just I don't have explain that one :lol:

Everyone has a different term for them but tandem axles are generally only under trailers.... then you have spread axles that aren't really known as tandem axles either and rigid vehicle with 2 sets of steer wheels and they are know as twin steers not tandem axles
Aren't you glad you asked Dottie :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
dapope

Post by dapope »

just DO NOT mention springs........
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..