It's been a while

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
PandJ R away

Re: It's been a while

Post by PandJ R away »

Good to see a post from you again Cuppa - welcome.

I have been following your build on the Patrol forum. You have done nice work.

John
Based on Sunshine Coast QLD with a '92 Toyota Coaster LWB and a 1990 Hilux fitted with an Aussie Traveller Deluxe rooftop.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Thanks again all.
John, do you post on the Patrol forum & if so how would I recognise you?

Cuppa
Rover All Over

Post by Rover All Over »

Yeah Cuppa and Mrs T

Great to see you here this is a nice place.

Chezza
Chinese saying: If you have 500 friends it is too few, if you have one enemy it is too many.
PandJ R away

Post by PandJ R away »

No Cuppa I don't post there. In fact your thread is the only one I look at. I was interested in your build from the start and while yours is more sophisticated than what we considered for our needs you have confronted the similar design issues and I have benefited from your problem solving.

I think that we are / were in a similar dilemma to you. We had a breakdown at Birdsville in the Coaster resulting in us completing our trip to NT and SA in the Hilux with the Aussie Traveller on top. This outfit got us places the Coaster wouldn't have and this positive experience continues to confuse the decision on our next RV. We have also been following Julian's TARDIS build and trip closely and even to this day were are not 100% decided not to build a similar vehicle even though our current plan is to keep the Coaster and refine the canopy frame that we use on the Hilux.

We were in Melbourne last weekend. I thought you would be packed for at least a short sojourn into the warmer climes by this.

John
Based on Sunshine Coast QLD with a '92 Toyota Coaster LWB and a 1990 Hilux fitted with an Aussie Traveller Deluxe rooftop.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

If money were no object a 4wd motorhome would be wonderful. There is no getting around that a rooftop tent just isn't as easy to live with as a motorhome ....... but the larger the vehicle the greater it's running costs & it was this, combined with our desire to experience remote paradises, that determined the decision to build a camper. Our expectation is that our future travel is going to happen on a shoestring budget, so this needed to be taken into account. Another factor is that if we ever change our minds, or feel that we've done enought remote/off road stuff we will be able to sell the Patrol & still have Civilian. In many ways it would be more sensible to sell the Civilian now, as it sits unused in the shed gradually losing value, but we really do have quite an attachment to it & should we ever want to buy another bus, it woud never suit us as much...... unless of course I fitted out another, but I'm not sure I'm ready to think about doing that, at least not whilst we are still living here.

It would be great to be travelling in warmer climes, even Melbourne would be significantly warmer than up here on the hill, but one step at a time. The Patrol is almost finished & the next step is to prepare the house/property for sale, hopefully to put it on the market next spring. Then buy a home more suitable as a base for travelling. It's been 3.5 years since we got home from our 'Big Trip', & not a day has passed when I haven't wished we were out on the road again. With our savings we could take off for a couple of years tomorrow, but a couple of years isn't long enough. 18 months on the trip before seemed to pass so quickly. I can recall reaching the half way point & thinking "now we're on the homeward leg". What I yearn for is the freedom which comes with 'for as long as it takes'. I had this as a teenager hitch hiking around Europe, never for as long as 18 months, but never with a set time frame & it really does change how you see things, somehow making it so much easier to slow down & smell the roses.

So for now the odd weekend away, online forums & pottering around getting the Patrol sorted helps to keep the dream alive.

Cuppa
PandJ R away

Post by PandJ R away »

We were only away for 14 weeks but I remember clearly the subtle change in attitude when we got to Port Lincoln which which was our half way point. While we still had new places and experiences in front of us we were no longer heading out on adventure but returning home. We are funny creatures aren't we.

We had a great time in the Aussie Traveller and I have heard Pam indicate to others that she likes it better than the Coaster. Is is a different style of camping and probably one closer to our roots. It is certainly a more active form. We have a couple of difficult nights especially at Karlu Karlu (Devils Marbles) and Wilpena Pound where the wind gusts became so strong it threatened the rig. At the Pound we found a nice copse of trees to relocate too but at Karlu Karlu we just pulled it down and slept in the front seat. We became quite proficient at setting up and packing and we can confidently claim to be able to do it in the dark. We would have no hesitation about heading off again in the same rig in fact Cape York and the NT are on the planning board for 2014.

While the discussion on vehicles is not concluded we are quite happy with the current resolution which has many advantages to balance the decision especially at this time in our lives as we both work (sort of) and have other commitments around the coast.

John
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here cuppa--pleased to be in contact again--enjoy the ride
Keith

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Post by Dot »

So Tanks have you seen the missing in action Tea bag? :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

I'm still here. 8-)
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Hi Cuppa,
Are you planning a trip on the upcoming long weekend? Oct?
Oh... I just looked it up........... Vic don't have one? I think they have one in March instead?
Mrs Tea got any holidays coming up?
BruceS
Mannum, SA